CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Snake refuses to eat

Old 01-22-2023, 01:26 PM   #1
Sharonsnake
Snake refuses to eat

My mother in law has an approx 6 month old female hypo corn called Martha that is currently 14g.
She has always been a fussy eater but he refused food (pinkies) for quite some time. She is shedding and drinking well but will not eat. We have checked temp/humidity/enclosure/environment etc and we have no idea what to do.
MIL has three other corns that are thriving and eating well but just not Martha. Any ideas?

Old 01-22-2023, 05:44 PM   #2
hypnoctopus
How long has she been refusing? How often is your MIL trying new things and what has she tried? What are the temps in the terrarium?

Old 01-22-2023, 09:13 PM   #3
Shiari
What does the enclosure look like? How often is the snake being handled?

Old 01-23-2023, 04:56 AM   #4
Sharonsnake
I haven’t got a full pic of Viv yet, it is 1’x2’ with aspen substrate, large water bowl, lots of artificial plants and several hides and branches. Daytime temp approx 25c.
Martha is shy but friendly when handled and she is handled most days. We think it is a month ago she last ate one pinky. We didn’t realize the different ways to feed a pinky until I read the sticky last night. We will try some of those methods. Last week MIL split a pinky but Martha showed no interest.

Old 01-23-2023, 05:05 AM   #5
Sharonsnake

Old 01-23-2023, 12:24 PM   #6
Shiari
You need to stop handling until she is eating regularly. I had a baby that would refuse to eat for weeks any time I held him. Took him until he was 2 years old to get over that.

Old 01-23-2023, 01:18 PM   #7
hypnoctopus
I agree with stopping any unnecessary handling for now. The first method I would try is putting her in a small, ventilated, secure container in the evening. Put that container in a quiet, dark place and let her relax for about half an hour. At that point, heat up a frozen pinkie using very hot water. You can even dunk it briefly in some boiling water. Drop it in with her, close the lid, and leave her alone with it in the dark for an hour. At that point, check on her. If she hasn't eaten, reheat it and leave it with her overnight. If she still hasn't eaten by morning, throw out the pinkie and put her back in her enclosure. Don't try every day. Give at least a few days between attempts.

Does the enclosure have supplemental heating? 25 c is fine for ambient temps, but she needs to have a warm spot of around 30 c to be able to digest, once she's eating.

Old 01-23-2023, 09:16 PM   #8
Sharonsnake
Oh wow that’s interesting advice, thank you. I will pass this on to MIL and we will try. She has a heat lamp that is on during part of the evening but not sure on temps. Thank you again for the advice and I will update when I know more.

Old 02-05-2023, 05:55 PM   #9
Rigatoni
Might be too late but my baby corn started eating again when I put the pinky in hot water to defrost, it makes them squishier and for some reason they like it better that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-06-2023, 06:25 AM   #10
Sharonsnake
Thank you. We tried some of the list given here and nothing worked. My MIL warmed a pinkie and pressed it right up to Martha’s mouth, she opened and began to eat! Only one so far but we are feeding again this week and hopefully she will begin to eat regular and grow accordingly.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google