CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Question after finding escaped corn.

Old 02-13-2023, 08:36 AM   #1
Koka_Corn
Question after finding escaped corn.

Hi all, my girl Koka managed to escape Friday night. Fortunately I managed to catch her at 4am this morning.

She had been hiding in the wall connecting my upstairs and downstairs bathrooms which is very cold especially as it's Winter in the UK.

She was quite slow when I first put her back into her tank however I believe this was just from the cold. Gave her a once over as well and didn't notice any visible wounds, just a bit of a dusty nose.

I checked on her before going to work this morning and she seems to be her normal self.

I may take her to the vets just to make sure she's definitely alright but is there any other ways I can check for injuries internal or otherwise just to put my mind at ease until then?

Can dust cause Respiratory issues? What should I watch out for?

Old 02-13-2023, 08:39 AM   #2
hypnoctopus
It sounds to me like she was just cold. Serious internal injury could leave part of her limp. The dust probably won't cause any issues since she was only gone for a few days.

I'm glad you found her!

Old 02-13-2023, 08:44 AM   #3
Koka_Corn
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnoctopus View Post
It sounds to me like she was just cold. Serious internal injury could leave part of her limp. The dust probably won't cause any issues since she was only gone for a few days.

I'm glad you found her!
Thank you! I was beside myself with worry the past few days and was just overjoyed to find her.

I left out one of her hides outside of a hole in the wall and she went into it and managed to curl herself up in it like she'll usually do in her tank, so I suppose that means that she's had no serious internal injuries?
Nothing out of the ordinary when I picked her up or put her back in her tank either except for the aforementioned slowness.

Will do another check on her once im home from work.
Thanks again!

Old 02-13-2023, 10:11 AM   #4
hypnoctopus
They're pretty tough, I think it's unlikely that she got any injuries especially if she seemed to be acting and moving normally. But yes, keep an eye on her to see if anything seems unusual.

Old 02-13-2023, 10:18 AM   #5
Koka_Corn
Quote:
They're pretty tough, I think it's unlikely that she got any injuries especially if she seemed to be acting and moving normally. But yes, keep an eye on her to see if anything seems unusual.
Will do! I'm sure she's fine but I've booked an appointment with the vets for her on Friday just to be on the safe side.

Old 02-13-2023, 11:12 AM   #6
hypnoctopus
Sounds good! Let us know how it goes!

Old 02-14-2023, 06:04 AM   #7
Koka_Corn
Quote:
Sounds good! Let us know how it goes!
I shall!

Checked her over again when I got home from work yesterday and don't see or feel any injuries apart from a few very light scuffs on the surface of some of her scales, didn't see any open wounds or missing scales however, so should clear up in a shed or two.

Still acting normal as well, and very alert & active as usual!

Old 02-14-2023, 10:58 AM   #8
hypnoctopus
Perfect, glad to hear it.

Old 02-14-2023, 05:04 PM   #9
blacktip
That's great news! It's so heart wrenching when they escape. Glad you found it safe and sound.

Old 02-15-2023, 04:37 AM   #10
Koka_Corn
So Koka still seems fine physically and she's been active, but a bit too active lately, like constantly following the walls along her tank and climbing around all day and night. It's making me slightly paranoid that she's possibly injured herself while out and is stressed out because of it and that's what's causing the hyperactivity, but she slept totally fine the first day I got her back.

I bought cameras to keep a check in on her when i'm gone and I haven't seen her settle in one of her hides for the past day. She's constantly on the move.

Her husbandry is all fine, temps are normal and she has plenty of foliage to hide in and plenty of decor in her tank such as a big branch, a hammock, a half log tunnel, etc. She has a large tank as well so i'm not sure about boredom or stress from lack of space/hiding places. It's never been an issue before.

I looked up this behavior and apparently it's common behavior in males that are ready to mate and that this time of year is mating season for Corns? Is this true? I've noticed she gets a bit more active and does some glass surfing around February but has never been this active, especially in the day.

Important to note I never actually have had confirmation Koka is female, I kinda just picked it and went with it lol.

So I suppose it's entirely possible she's actually a male. Perhaps the coldness during the escape sent her/him into a sort of brumation and that's why he/she could be suddenly feeling extremely frisky after warming up? I could be totally wrong as I'm not experienced with brumation or breeding at all.

Sorry for the wall of text, just been a paranoid snake momma lately as this whole ordeal shook me up and it's still a few days till the vet appointment, just wanna make sure she'll be OK till then and it's not a call for emergency.

Also thank you, blacktip. I felt very happy and very lucky to find her within a few days. I've heard they can go missing for up to a year or even forever!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
escape