CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Feeding Issue

Old 04-04-2023, 07:50 AM   #1
AneryCornMom
Feeding Issue

My anery female corn, about 2 yrs old, has stopped eating for about the past 6 weeks. I have had her almost a year, so I'm still a relatively new snake owner. She is slightly over 4 feet long and had been eating thawed adult mice (not too large for her size.) Two weeks ago I took her to the herp vet with a stool sample and he found that her levels of coccidia were very high. We did a 10 day course of dewormer treatment and I offered her another thawed mouse last week. She wouldn't take that either.

I haven't seen a shed in a while and I know ahead of that, she usually skips a meal. Could other explanations for not eating include: eggs or brumation?

I poked around the forum a bit on feeding problems and saw something about using Ivory dish soap for scent, but not a lot of further information on what to do with the dish soap.

I was considering feeding live and maybe something smaller, but didn't know if that was advisable after feeding frozen/thawed. Would I be able to go back to frozen again? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 04-04-2023, 08:34 AM   #2
67temp
Ive never had an issue going back to f/t after a live but I try to avoid live unless it's for a hatchling. There is no harm in offering something smaller than normal.

Old 04-04-2023, 11:30 AM   #3
crackerhead
First I'd double check all the housing parameters; temperature, light cycle, placement within the household, etc. Have any of these things changed? Did you recently add a new corn snake to your collection? If so, did the vet confirm that the animal in question was indeed female? It is possible that if the animal is a male he might be distracted by the sex pheromones of a nearby female snake and thus go off feeding temporarily. I doubt that this is the issue but it's worth considering.
Did the vet do a follow up fecal after the treatment to determine that the coccidia was under control? Plus I'm wondering what caused the uptick in gut parasite load in the first place. There might be an underlying pathology causing the issue. Treating symptoms without fixing the cause won't necessarily solve the problem. Did the vet recommend tube feeding something like a slurry of Critical Care? If the animal is of a good weight it probably isn't necessary. I'd probably start with a small prey item like a big peach fuzzy or hopper mouse. Think of it the same way you would approach food yourself after having a stomach virus; small easy to digest meals.
Good Luck,
Terri

Old 04-04-2023, 01:06 PM   #4
AneryCornMom
Thank you. I actually got a bigger tank (from 20 to 40 gallon) and added a little more heat to bring up the temp a bit on the hot side. So perhaps the change made some difference.

We definitely did not add another snake to the mix, yet, I didn't specifically ask the vet to sex the snake.

Thank you for pointing out that perhaps the vet is not addressing the underlying cause for the increase in bacterial load. He surmised that it was likely from a previously eaten mouse...What else could cause this that I should be asking him? Beyond the dewormer, the vet did not recommend supplemental feed. The snake seems to be a good weight for her length.

I think I will try a hopper and go from there. Thank you for your advice!

Old 04-04-2023, 06:13 PM   #5
crackerhead
This may sound ridiculous BUT I have animals that I have moved back into their previous smaller home because they didn't thrive in the new habitat. It's seems odd to us that such an "improvement" would cause such stress but regardless of the reason the resulting failure to thrive is the same. We as keepers need to do what works best for the animal and sometimes that means going "backward".
Terri

Old 04-04-2023, 08:06 PM   #6
hypnoctopus
Are you sure she's female?

Old 04-05-2023, 10:11 AM   #7
AneryCornMom
Ok, good to know. After I moved her to the bigger tank, she did still eat for a couple weeks. I still have the 20 gallon tank and I can definitely try her back there maybe after trying to feed live one week.

And regarding sex, I'm not 100% sure "she" is not a "he." I have read about the possible ways to sex a snake and I don't have two to compare. I'm definitely not going to attempt to pop a hemipene or probe it. I'll take a look at the tail again.

Old 04-05-2023, 11:04 AM   #8
crackerhead
If you can take a picture of the bottom side of the tail from the vent to the end we could make an educated guess. If that helps you out any.
Terri

Old 04-05-2023, 04:05 PM   #9
hypnoctopus
I agree, if you want to take a clear picture of the underside of the tail, we could take a stab at it. You can also do a subcaudal scale count - over 70 pairs is usually male, under 70 is usually female.

Old 04-05-2023, 09:06 PM   #10
Asmodeus*
Quote:
Originally Posted by AneryCornMom View Post
10 day course of dewormer treatment
Could you tell us some more about this. Drug, dosage, how administered. Thank you.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google