CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

feeding problems with corns

Old 04-07-2002, 05:26 AM   #1
jim
feeding problems with corns

hi. i have a theory about a problem i am having and wanted some opinions on it. one of my cages right now has an 01 amel in it. a month ago this snake was feeding fine but now has lost its appetite. the previous resident of this cage was a 01 charcoal that didn't want to eat. it now eats fine since it has been moved. (it only moved about 3 feet away to the next cage in the lineup) the resident in the cage next door to the "problem cage" is a very aggressive albino cal. king. could the scent and proximity of the cal be causing distress for the corns? it seems any snake that becomes a neighbor of this snake becomes quite shy about feeding.
any opinions greatly appreciated. thanks, jim

Old 04-07-2002, 09:59 AM   #2
sue frederick
Short answer: yes! Move the king snake away from all your poor cornsnakes.
sue frederick

Old 04-07-2002, 12:33 PM   #3
Kevin M
I'd say you answered your own question. Move the king away from the corns and test your theory.

-Kev

Old 04-07-2002, 10:24 PM   #4
jim
has anyone else ever had this problem and is it quite normal for corns and kings to be this way?? thanks for the replies....

Old 04-07-2002, 10:32 PM   #5
CornsnakeKeeper
It's probably instinct since Kings can eat other snakes.

Test out your theory. Move it away and see if he does better.
There's no sense in causing uneeded stress.

Good luck, there!

Old 04-10-2002, 09:56 PM   #6
jim
update... :)

ok everyone guess what...
yesterday was feeding day in the owens family snakeroom and... the cage that once held the "problem" amel and the "problem" charcoal now has a new habitant an aggressive feeding '00' hatched snow.
the good news is everyone of them has eaten with no problems. i didn't expect that a move of only 3-4 feet would make a difference in their feeding response but it seems to make quite a difference. too bad there is no way to check this theory further without stressing the poor little guys. oh well i guess my questions are answered anyways... thanks for all the replies, jim
p.s. one more item of note... there are variable kings (not nearly as aggressive as the cal king) in the rack next to them on the other side, but these kings do not seem to bother them at all... possibly a different scent???? questions, questions, questions....

Old 04-11-2002, 05:34 PM   #7
Kevin M
Glad to hear everything is better jim. Wish i could help you with your kingsnake question, But im a kingsnake moron, for the most part.

-Kev

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google