CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Housing Option Questions

Old 12-25-2014, 07:41 PM   #1
charitysheppard
Question Housing Option Questions

I have wanted a snake or two for years. I have been doing a TON of research and have decided to bring a snake or two home after the New Year. I have been looking into caging options, as I obviously would need two for two snakes. Two save space, I want cages that stack safely, but I don't want to use a rack system, as I want to be able to watch my pets in a habitat. I have been looking at the injected plastic cages with the glass fronts. I have found cages that look safe and affordable at www.riverbendreptiles.com. Question: I am HUGE on animals having enough room for living and play. Is it ridiculous to want to get a 48 inch cage, when most say the 36 inch is OK. Again, I don't want to upsize over and over. I would rather buy bigger and add more plants and hides so they feel secure. I would think the fact that only the front was transparent would help with their feelings of security. Any thoughts, comments, opinions, advice, etc is GREATLY appreciated!!!! Thanks!

Old 12-25-2014, 08:19 PM   #2
Tavia
As long as you provide a ton of hiding places and clutter in the tank, the snake(s) should have no issues with that size enclosure, as long as it's secure. It might give you heart failure trying to find a tiny hatchling in that big a space, however. I've done that a time or two, thinking they'd escaped only to find them the third time I completely tore their cage apart. That said, no, no reason you shouldn't get the final cage size you want to start off with in the beginning.

Old 12-25-2014, 08:37 PM   #3
charitysheppard
Laughing

Thanks so much for mentioning about trying to find them. I did not even think about that! LOL I can imagine me frantically looking if I had not read your comment. Thanks!!!

Old 12-26-2014, 12:42 AM   #4
Afrederi
I think there's plastic ones that come with a divider. Which might be a good option for you if you buy baby snakes. Keep them in a divided tank until they get bigger and then buy a second tank to stack on top.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:32 AM   #5
Nanci
Have you seen those cages in person? I'd worry about there being spaces around the doors, or in the ventilation, that would allow the hatchling to escape. 48" would be wonderful for a yearling-adult.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:26 PM   #6
charitysheppard
I have a friend who has a few different kind of these cages. All of them are manufactured specifically for use with reptiles ONLY. Therefore, the specs are engineered to be used with reptiles and reptiles only. That is why I was considering only specific brands.

Old 12-26-2014, 03:30 PM   #7
albertagirl
I have gorgeous stacking cages that I can't currently use because the ventilation holes are too big for hatchlings. Just something to keep in mind, you may need to have a baby set-up and upgrade to an adult set-up unless anyone knows of a good way to baby-proof an adult snake cage.

Old 12-26-2014, 05:52 PM   #8
charitysheppard
Thanks for all of the information. Maybe I should just start with one of those pre-made set ups for a year or so and the switch. I just wanted to make sure I provided lots of room. However, it sounds like that until they get a bit bigger, I don't really need to get my panties in a bunch about it. I have only owned mammals and I always make sure they have as much room to roam as possible. I am really rethinking this whole issue and think I will start with a small, cheaper set up and then graduate when they age and grow a little.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:22 PM   #9
albertagirl
And then you'll have a baby cage all set up. Empty. And if you're anything like the rest of us, you'll soon feel the need to fill it again.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:30 AM   #10
charitysheppard
That is what I heard. Get one or two, then you want more. I have already been researching Children's Pythons.....Maybe I need to start with three. LOL

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
cages, hides, housing, terrarium