CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Hiccup's shedding problem

Old 01-05-2015, 01:10 PM   #1
Obby_snake
Hiccup's shedding problem

So, I finally got hold of a butter tub and made a moist hide, to find Hiccup had already shed! Unfortunately, the very tip of his tail has got a bit of stuck shed. I don't have any cotton buds so I very gently rubbed his tail. He wasn't having that, he raced onto my lap. I've put him in his moist hide for now.
As this hasn't happened before, and as this is his first shed I'm asking for tips please.
I'm planning on feeding him soon as well.
Thanks!

Old 01-05-2015, 02:01 PM   #2
Nanci
Follow the instructions in the Health Section- there's a sticky about bad sheds.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:08 PM   #3
Obby_snake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
Follow the instructions in the Health Section- there's a sticky about bad sheds.
Okay, thanks Nanci!

Old 01-05-2015, 03:02 PM   #4
crzymom2grl2by
Jafar shed for the first time last month and I had to do what Nanci suggested. I put warm water in a rubbermaid container and a cloth to cover the bottom, left her in there for about 20min and after squeezed the water out of the cloth and then let the snake slither through it as I held her a few times. She still had the tail tip stuck but I plucked it right off with my fingers, it wasn't a bit difficult, came right off thankfully. Good luck to you.

Old 01-05-2015, 03:04 PM   #5
Obby_snake
Quote:
Originally Posted by crzymom2grl2by View Post
Jafar shed for the first time last month and I had to do what Nanci suggested. I put warm water in a rubbermaid container and a cloth to cover the bottom, left her in there for about 20min and after squeezed the water out of the cloth and then let the snake slither through it as I held her a few times. She still had the tail tip stuck but I plucked it right off with my fingers, it wasn't a bit difficult, came right off thankfully. Good luck to you.
He hates me touching the tail :3 and unfortunately, after 20 minutes (phone timer) he has it round the tip still •_• starting to slightly panic (seemed so easy in the tuts and videos)

Old 01-05-2015, 03:34 PM   #6
Obby_snake
This is the picture of the thing.
Bad thing is after he shed, I thought I saw his tail shed in the faun, and feed him a fluff. He won't attack me but is quick to move his tail if I gently rub it.

Old 01-05-2015, 03:42 PM   #7
kushkitt3n
My snake has problems with the tip of his tail after his last shedding. He also doesn't really like it when I mess with his tail. I followed Nanci's instructions. After about 20 minutes of hanging out in the tub I held him and let him slither through the wet towel. He didn't like it at all, but this actually seemed to help the process. He would slither through it quickly and after a few passes the tip came right off.

Old 01-05-2015, 03:43 PM   #8
kushkitt3n
I would give him 48 hours to digest and then maybe try another soak for 20 minutes and the slither through the towel trick.

Old 01-05-2015, 03:46 PM   #9
Obby_snake
Well, what after seemed like forever (5 minutes) the little thing let me gently hold his tail (or cradle it) and rub the skin off!
The noodle had enough of being fussed and was put back into the safety of his faun thanks so so much for the help, he can now rest without his outgrown 'clothes'!

Old 01-05-2015, 06:15 PM   #10
Nanci
Next time I'd set him up with a humid hide when he goes blue.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google