CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Which Snakes Can Live together?

Old 08-14-2010, 08:57 PM   #31
dickdeuel
Quote:
Originally Posted by knox View Post
I do not co-hab. But I do wonder why different species can be found under the same piece of plywood - including Kings and other snakes which would otherwise be their prey.

True, if one of the snakes get on everyone's nerves, they have the freedom to leave the space.

But still - it makes you think...
If more people spent a little time in the field instead of reading magazines then they would know that snakes spend time together all times of the year.
I don't know how many times I have found mixed groups of kingsnakes, milk snakes, and racers under the same cover. The winter dens in the Northeast are full of all varieties of snakes and I bet they get along just fine. Maybe it's because they really don't have Human feelings!

Old 08-14-2010, 09:55 PM   #32
ZoologyGirl
I'd like to get in on the stuffie breeding loans.

This one might be a good match for sweetseraph's

And this one might be a good match for the last one of Joe's

Old 08-14-2010, 09:57 PM   #33
Hypancistrus
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickdeuel View Post
If more people spent a little time in the field instead of reading magazines then they would know that snakes spend time together all times of the year.
I don't know how many times I have found mixed groups of kingsnakes, milk snakes, and racers under the same cover. The winter dens in the Northeast are full of all varieties of snakes and I bet they get along just fine. Maybe it's because they really don't have Human feelings!
You also cannot assume that an animals behavior in an enclosed captive setting is going to be AT ALL the same as in the wild. A lot of captive animals do things and behave in ways in captivity that they never would in the wild.

Simply put, very few people here would reccomend cohabbing, especially to a newb.

And to me, with as inexpensive as snake housing is, why would you even bother?? If you can afford the $40 cornsnake, you can likely afford the $40 for housing. If you can't, don't get another snake. We've got 37 snakes and not a one is cohabbed.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:34 PM   #34
VickyChaiTea
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickdeuel View Post
The answer is plain and simple. Because they can get away from each other. In captivity, they are kept together and cannot get away. They HAVE to be near the other snake, no matter what. Even if they're in different hides, they cans till smell the other snake and they know it's there.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:56 PM   #35
ZoologyGirl
The way I see it: better safe than sorry. I don't find it too hard to house each snake individually, and I see no benefit to housing them together except for human 'enjoyment'.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:36 AM   #36
CALIVIK
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoologyGirl View Post
I'd like to get in on the stuffie breeding loans.

This one might be a good match for sweetseraph's

And this one might be a good match for the last one of Joe's
OMGosh these made me laugh SO hard!!! Thanks for the laugh!

Old 08-15-2010, 03:07 AM   #37
CALIVIK
More YOU time...

Here's what I do! I house snakes w/ feeders! Its saves a lot of time when it comes to feeding.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:13 AM   #38
SnakeAround
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoologyGirl View Post
The way I see it: better safe than sorry. I don't find it too hard to house each snake individually, and I see no benefit to housing them together except for human 'enjoyment'.
Can I ask you about the sizes of their individual vivs?

Old 08-15-2010, 08:23 AM   #39
Hypancistrus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blutengel View Post
Can I ask about the sizes of their individual vivs?
My corns are in racks with equivalent floor space of a 20 gallon long. This is industry accepted standard. We will be moving the largest females and king and ratsnakes into 2' x 2' animal plastics cages this Spring.

The boids all have their own cage, with the smallest, a yearling ball python, being in a 2' x 2' cage, while our largest guys are in 4' x 2'.

If a 20L or equivalent rack is all you need to house them individually, why not do it?

Old 08-15-2010, 08:23 AM   #40
Hypancistrus
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALIVIK View Post
Here's what I do! I house snakes w/ feeders! Its saves a lot of time when it comes to feeding.

Vikki, be careful! I think the feeder is starting to feed on your coralsnake!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
housing