CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Zombie Cornsnake (Seriously vamped out corn)

Old 06-10-2011, 02:24 PM   #31
Ares2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by naruto View Post
My hot side temp is 85.7 and the hottest it can get on the warm side is 90.3 at the heat mat if she were to burrow, my temps are monitored with a digital probe thermometer and infra red temp gun.

If you can give me a herp vet in NYC that is withing walking or train distance price i'll gladly go.
Cut down the temps a bit.. that 90.3 is too hot. I don't know NYC at all....but I will do some digging to see if I can locate one that's knowledgeable about herps.

Like I said.. Im not trying to be an ass.. I am just concerned that you need a bit more experience with the care side before you take on other snakes.. I did it that way and was rewarded for my knowledge when I got my second corn.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:24 PM   #32
starsevol
Quote:
You have successfully managed to point out all of my flaws, no what advice can YOU give on dealing with the swollen vent? I removed the water bowl and as of now have her on paper towel.
Dumb question here but why take away her water? If she is dehydrated (because it DOES sound like you overheated her) and she has no access to water she could die for real.
Plus a few of us said that she should go to a vet for that injury you caused........

Old 06-10-2011, 02:24 PM   #33
naruto
Quote:
Originally Posted by neiman07 View Post
why did you remove her water?! the only time there shouldnt be water is when they are first settling down to hibernate! i believe??!

i cant help you on the swallon vent never had an issue with that before, sorry!
The water is removed to prevent soaking and spilling, spilled water, equals high humidity, high humidity will rise the chance of the swollen vent becoming infected and i dont want to risk her soaking.. but yet im the newbie

Old 06-10-2011, 02:26 PM   #34
naruto
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsevol View Post
Dumb question here but why take away her water? If she is dehydrated (because it DOES sound like you overheated her) and she has no access to water she could die for real.
Plus a few of us said that she should go to a vet for that injury you caused........
I mist her, and she drinks as i mist her, i did it twice already and it worked out fine. And as i said before, give me a herp vet in walking distance in NYC and i'll gladly take her.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:27 PM   #35
naruto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ares2010 View Post
Cut down the temps a bit.. that 90.3 is too hot. I don't know NYC at all....but I will do some digging to see if I can locate one that's knowledgeable about herps.

Like I said.. Im not trying to be an ass.. I am just concerned that you need a bit more experience with the care side before you take on other snakes.. I did it that way and was rewarded for my knowledge when I got my second corn.
That is at the base only if she diggs all the way down... and lays on the heat mat and still thats not enough to burn her...

Old 06-10-2011, 02:27 PM   #36
Ares2010
Quote:
The water is removed to prevent soaking and spilling, spilled water, equals high humidity, high humidity will rise the chance of the swollen vent becoming infected and i dont want to risk her soaking.. but yet im the newbie
Does she have a heavy water dish so she can't knock it over? She needs her water always in the tank with her. They need a lot of water or they dehydrate and die. If you don't have a heavy dish, get one.... please put her water back in with her.. she needs it.

Man, I am worried about your snake now.

And I am not saying you don't have any husbandry skills.. it just sounds like you are over heating her.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:28 PM   #37
naruto
Quote:
Originally Posted by neiman07 View Post
you need to get a dimmer switch so that it cant get hotter then 86* because they will burn there bellys and thats nasty stuff.. you can get one of those at lowes, or home depot places like that its an extension cord with a dimmer switch on the end!
I have a ranco thermostat.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:29 PM   #38
naruto
Quote:
Does she have a heavy water dish so she can't knock it over? She needs her water always in the tank with her. They need a lot of water or they dehydrate and die. If you don't have a heavy dish, get one.... please put her water back in with her.. she needs it.

Man, I am worried about your snake now.

And I am not saying you don't have any husbandry skills.. it just sounds like you are over heating her.
My temps are good, no need to worry and i'll put the water dish back in.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:30 PM   #39
Ares2010
And didn't you post that your Mom didn't even want you to have her? How are you going to get other snakes if she's already against this one?

Old 06-10-2011, 02:31 PM   #40
starsevol
Quote:

I agree, this time of year they really need NO heat at all for the most part. I am of the opinion that too cool is better than too hot. Too cool you might have a regurge at the worst, too hot and you will have a dead snake. Better to err on the cool side....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google