CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

His first live one!

Old 03-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #41
jovamabob
I live in the UK and over here it is illegal to feed a live vertebrate to another vertebrate - even if i wanted to live feed i wouldn't be able too. The Animal Welfare Act bans it - mostly because it is terrible welfare for both parties - both become incredibly stressed and it is very dangerous for both the prey and the predator if done even a tiny bit wrong. A lot of captive kept/bred animals don't possess all of the instincts they need to kill prey anymore either thanks to captive breeding slowly domesticating the animal.
To be honest i only ever feed my snake pre-killed mice, mostly because of the law and for convenience. I can buy a large number in bulk and just grab one out of the freezer as and when. I don't see the need to feed live food to a snake that's accustomed to taking pre-killed ones. If the snake won't feed on pre-killed ones, you don't need to immediately feed live either. Simply waiting till it is more hungry, warming the rodent and waving it around often does the trick, and if not exposing brain matter in a pre-killed rodent naturally entices the snake to eat. Force-feeding can be done in desperate circumstances.
However if you decide that you prefer to feed live food then that is entirely your choice. Just make sure to check it is legal in your country/state and ensure to do it safely and as humanely as possible 100% of the time.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #42
7legion77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
You've been told by the site owner, Rich Z, not to troll. You should probably be careful.
I know, he put me in my place. Right now I am being dead honest and not just trying to get a rise out of you guys.
If you want censorship then go ahead and ban me. I will still speak my mind because this forum needs some balance regarding this argument.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:40 PM   #43
guagerage
wow! just wanted some feedback on if maybe he was to small to start live feeding? or if i didnt do something right to get him ready to eat. a video was the best way for people to see what i saw and say "hey he looks to small and young to start that" not to be told i am a bad person or a terrible pet owner!

Old 03-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #44
Shiari
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7legion77 View Post

The advantages of F/T vs frozen aren't as black and white as people on here make it seem. I admire their altruism, but feeding live doesn't make us evil/cruel/irresponsible in any way, it is more propaganda than sound, rational advice.
Yes it is.

Pros for F/T:
Cheaper, especially if you have multiple snakes.
Always able to have correct prey size on hand.
No potential for injury to snake if left in bin unsupervised.
No potential for injury to snake if it 'misses' or coils incorrectly.
Significantly less risk as a source for parasites.

Cons:
Other people in household may not like having numerous rodents in the freezer.

Pros for feeding P/K:
Can be frozen if snake is uninterested, for later use.

Cons:
Can get expensive if you have multiple snakes and don't breed your own.
Stinky mouse smell if you do breed your own.
May not have correct prey size.

Pros for feeding live:
None.

Cons:
Potential for injury or death to snake if left in bin unsupervised.
Potential for injury or death to snake if it misses or coils incorrectly.
Potential for transmissible parasites, resulting in vet bills.
Housing for mouse in case snake is 'uninterested' unless breeding your own.
Expensive, especially for multiple snakes, unless breeding your own.

Feeding live should be a last resort, "my snake absolutely won't eat anything else" situation.

And for the emotional part, while Legion there is incapable of empathy for mice, do please keep in mind that this is a living feeling creature you are feeding to your snake. It can feel terror and pain. If it is going to die anyway, shouldn't that death be painless and free from fear?

Old 03-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #45
BloodyBaroness
Quote:
Originally Posted by guagerage View Post
wow! just wanted some feedback on if maybe he was to small to start live feeding? or if i didnt do something right to get him ready to eat. a video was the best way for people to see what i saw and say "hey he looks to small and young to start that" not to be told i am a bad person or a terrible pet owner!
He looks like the type that will not do well with live. (My posts actually address this directly.)

Feed him pre-killed if you must.

It's clear by his behavior he is used to frozen/thawed.

A mouse with teeth will injure your snake, based on the response he showed in the video.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #46
Lyion
Guag, I have told you that I advise you first get him to be a more aggressive feeder. Many people get angered by this topic but some of us do want to help you. Please read each and every comment as education is all we can offer at this point. Sorry about this. The community gets fired up about this more than any other topic and I apologize. Please do not think bad of us for this. We only want best for the snake and for you as an owner

Old 03-13-2012, 01:45 PM   #47
crotalis40741
Can we please just let this die now? Everyone has said thier two cents and it would probably be better for everyone around if the thread just died in its own suffocation. Lets be friends not the hord that chased Frankenstien.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:47 PM   #48
diamondlil
Quote:
Originally Posted by jovamabob View Post
I live in the UK and over here it is illegal to feed a live vertebrate to another vertebrate - even if i wanted to live feed i wouldn't be able too. The Animal Welfare Act bans it - mostly because it is terrible welfare for both parties - both become incredibly stressed and it is very dangerous for both the prey and the predator if done even a tiny bit wrong. A lot of captive kept/bred animals don't possess all of the instincts they need to kill prey anymore either thanks to captive breeding slowly domesticating the animal.
To be honest i only ever feed my snake pre-killed mice, mostly because of the law and for convenience. I can buy a large number in bulk and just grab one out of the freezer as and when. I don't see the need to feed live food to a snake that's accustomed to taking pre-killed ones. If the snake won't feed on pre-killed ones, you don't need to immediately feed live either. Simply waiting till it is more hungry, warming the rodent and waving it around often does the trick, and if not exposing brain matter in a pre-killed rodent naturally entices the snake to eat. Force-feeding can be done in desperate circumstances.
However if you decide that you prefer to feed live food then that is entirely your choice. Just make sure to check it is legal in your country/state and ensure to do it safely and as humanely as possible 100% of the time.
That's an excellent answer, but incorrect. It is not illegal here, if it can be proved that it is to feed a snake that would otherwise be starving to death. It must not be done in public or cause unneccesary suffering. It must be under the advice of a veternarian and be deemed an exceptional circumstance. Force-feeding is in itself stressful to the snake and can actually make the transition to independent feeding more difficult.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #49
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by guagerage View Post
Why do you want to feed live?

Old 03-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #50
Lyion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiari View Post
Yes it is.

Pros for F/T:
Cheaper, especially if you have multiple snakes.
Always able to have correct prey size on hand.
Significantly less risk as a source for parasites.

Cons:
Other people in household may not like having numerous rodents in the freezer.

Pros for feeding P/K:
Can be frozen if snake is uninterested, for later use.

Cons:
Can get expensive if you have multiple snakes and don't breed your own.
Stinky mouse smell if you do breed your own.

Pros for feeding live:
None.

Cons:
Potential for injury or death to snake if left in bin unsupervised.
Potential for injury or death to snake if it misses or coils incorrectly.
Potential for transmissible parasites, resulting in vet bills.
Housing for mouse in case snake is 'uninterested' unless breeding your own.
Expensive, especially for multiple snakes, unless breeding your own.

Feeding live should be a last resort, "my snake absolutely won't eat anything else" situation.

And for the emotional part, while Legion there is incapable of empathy for mice, do please keep in mind that this is a living feeling creature you are feeding to your snake. It can feel terror and pain. If it is going to die anyway, shouldn't that death be painless and free from fear?
It's alright Shiari. Maybe only a bad experience may get him to understand. We do not want him to hate the site for this as we all know the amazing advice thar our community has to offer. We did, after all spawn the munson plan.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google