CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Killing mice

Old 06-25-2002, 03:22 PM   #1
DustinWaller
Killing mice

Hey guys my mom is awesome and lets me breed my own mice in my room and all that good stuff. I dont want to feed live mice to my snakes becouse of the risk of bites,scars,etc. I told my mom i didnt think i could kill the mouse by putting it in a baggy and slaming it on the countertop. She said well ya there is this thing where you put a cotton ball in a jar and a mouse in a ja and drop this one drop of liquid stuff(she couldnt member the name) and it kills the mouse in 1 second. She said she would go to the vet and ask what it is. But il get some more info when she comes home from work. Do you guys think this is a ood idea? i was thinking maybe the chem. can get in its lung and hurt the snake when it eats the mouse or somthing like that.

Dustin

Old 06-25-2002, 06:17 PM   #2
kenalotia
That chemical might be chloroform, but I'm not totally sure. I don't know if it would linger in the mouse and cause any harm...

Old 06-25-2002, 06:25 PM   #3
HomeBreeder
or perhaps ether

either way I would advise against chemical euthiasia(sp?).

You can get a canister of CO2 frrom a paintball store, then carefully fill a bag with the gas (it's heavier than air) then drop in the mice you want to kill - leave them in for a couple minutes, even though they're probably dead in 30 seconds or less.

This will be guaranteed harmless to your snake.

Old 06-25-2002, 07:27 PM   #4
Gregg
Dry Ice might be even cheaper.

Dry Ice is frozen CO2.

What I do, since I've gotten tired of killing, freezing, and then thawing out my pinkies, fuzzies, and mice, is ask for a plastic cricket bag, or two, at the pet store. They've stopped asking now, but every new sale-person has asked, "Aren't you going to feed them live?"

Anyway, I put the mice into a plastic cricket bag and squeeze out the air. I then close of the end with a few twists and a attach a rubberband. I do the same with adult mice, but I then place the bag they are in into another plastic bag, since they can eat throught the first, and then seal off the second bag as well.

I live about fifteen minutes away from the pet store that supplies me with my snake food and, by the time I reach home, the pinkies and the fuzzies are dead. The mice are almost out cold by then, but take a little longer.

I forget who it was, but someone on the forum here gave me the idea when they said they used a GladWare container to suffocate their snake food. One of the guys at the pet store said to blow into the bag, since we give off CO1, but trying that didn't work. The pinkies were alive thirty-minutes later. The air has to be gone, then they sufficate on their own lack of oxigen.

Old 06-25-2002, 08:14 PM   #5
Matt L
That might have been me Gregg, I use a butter tub with a single hole in the top, and a small piece of dry ice--when the dry ice melts it pushes the oxygen out the top. Dead in 30 seconds or less. The C02 dissipates quickly in a oxygen rich enviroment, so there is no harm to the snake. I think this is the most humane, but I'm not above smacking them in the head, especially the ones that bite!

Old 06-25-2002, 09:41 PM   #6
nova
another thing is if you have that appliance that sucks the air out of canisters for food storage. you could throw a bunch in and do that. kill them instantly and keep them for months/ years

Old 06-25-2002, 11:45 PM   #7
SilverTongue
That is just creepy

Old 06-26-2002, 12:18 AM   #8
Celeste
honestly people! i am beginning 2 think that some of u dont even hav hearts except when it comes 2 your snakes! i hav already discussed this issue on the post 'dead or alive'! matt what u said about smacking them on the head was cruel and downright (as already been said) creepy! could EVERYONE think a little more about the fate of the mice? (and simple suffocation through the use of plastic bags sounds very inhumane indeed - its already been said that it takes 15 mins 4 the adult mice 2 die! i urge u 2 chemically inject them or feed them alive, or at least freeze them...the appliance that sucks air out of canisters sounds much better than simple suffocation)

Old 06-26-2002, 02:19 AM   #9
Iris
Actually CO2 sounds a lot more humane than freezing, bopping, or regular suffocation. I think it's instant so that's better than suffocation and freezing and I don't think the mice enjoy bopping at all.
I wouldn't chemically inject any mice that I feed to my snakes since you don't know what side effects can result from the chemicals.
Feed them alive? Well that sure sounds painless...who wouldn't want to be struck at and then strangled to death?
If Matt L wants to bop his mice who are you to condemn that as cruel and creepy? He is his own free person.
I think it's great that you are so into animal rights but I think it's unnecessary to express your opinion on mouse killing on every thread about mice.
One way or another the snakes will get their mice. It is your personal opinion about which way is better or more humane. I don't think a whole lot of people are going to change their methods just because you think and say it's wrong.
I apologize if I came across like I'm looking for a fight (which I'm not) but this is a public forum and I am expressing my opinion just like everybody else.

Old 06-26-2002, 09:16 AM   #10
kenalotia
Well, really, this thread seems to be about finding the quickest, most humane way to kill mice for snakes. How does this suggest that people don't care about anything but their snakes? Or even that they don't care about mice? By the way, the bopping method ensures a very quick death, with only momentary pain. Sounds a lot better than live feeding to me, which can potentially cause lots of pain and injury to both parties involved.

And I think most of us want to stay away from chemical injection so we don't end up poisoning two animals by accident (first the mouse, then the snake that eats it).

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google