CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Killing mice

Old 07-09-2002, 05:46 PM   #81
jim

shoot the wolf not my rump if that was at all unclear rich.....

Old 07-09-2002, 06:29 PM   #82
kenalotia
Just a quick note on human evolution and meat-eating. I was an anthropology major at Cornell, and although I did not concentrate in the evolution/primatology area of it, I did take a few classes. So: chimpanzees, the nearest living relatives of humans, collectively hunt and eat meat. I'm not just talking about insects, but they hunt and eat small mammals, including monkeys. They are primarily herbiverous - probably because plant food is easier to obtain. But the fact that chimps do hunt and eat meat indicates that most likely our common ancestor (which occurs well before homo erectus) also hunted and ate meat on a small scale.

Old 07-09-2002, 08:59 PM   #83
SilverTongue
Talking

CORNS! CORNS! CORNS! CORNS! CORNS!CORNS! CORNS! CORNS! CORNS! CORNS!CORNS! CORNS! CORNS! CORNS! CORNS!CORNS! CORNS! CORNS! CORNS! CORNS!CORNS! CORNS! CORNS! CORNS! CORNS!CORNS! CORNS! CORNS! CORNS! CORNS!CORNS! CORNS! CORNS! CORNS! CORNS!CORNS! CORNS! CORNS! CORNS! CORNS!CORNS! CORNS! CORNS! CORNS! CORNS!CORNS! CORNS! CORNS! CORNS! CORNS!CORNS! CORNS! CORNS! CORNS! CORNS!CORNS! CORNS! CORNS! CORNS! CORNS!CORNS! CORNS! CORNS! CORNS! CORNS!CORNS! CORNS! CORNS! CORNS! CORNS!CORNS! CORNS! CORNS! CORNS! CORNS!CORNS! CORNS! CORNS! CORNS! CORNS!CORNS! CORNS! CORNS! CORNS! CORNS!CORNS! CORNS! CORNS! CORNS! CORNS!CORNS! CORNS! CORNS! CORNS! CORNS!CORNS! CORNS! CORNS! CORNS! CORNS!CORNS! CORNS! CORNS! CORNS! CORNS!CORNS! CORNS! CORNS! CORNS! CORNS!CORNS! CORNS! CORNS! CORNS! CORNS!CORNS! CORNS! CORNS! CORNS! CORNS!CORNS! CORNS! CORNS! CORNS! CORNS!

Old 07-09-2002, 10:32 PM   #84
Bippy
Mmm... I feel like jumping into this discussion... Nothing like beating a dead horse

I have no qualms with people being vegitarians, I also have no qualms with people going out and hunting animals in general.

I do not approve of the hunting of endangered or threatened species, though hunting species which would otherwise become overpopulated is fine with me.

What bugs me is not so much people who do any of these things, but people that are so overzealous about their beliefs on these matters that they're willing to beat you to death with their arguements (however sound or unsound they may be) in order to get you to change you rmind, because of course their way is the only right way. :P

That having been said, humans are indeed omnivorous. Whether you believe the bible or follow the theory of evolution, there is no evidence to suggest people started out not eating meat. In fact, there's evidence which suggests the opposite in both cases.

I have a sister who has threatened to kidnap and raise up herself any live mice I tried to bring home to feed my snakes. She's utterly disgusted with the thought that those things are in my freezer. But, so long as I don't make a big fuss about it and my feeding the snakes mice isn't brought to her attention, she ignores the issue. She doesn't go looking around for references to people prekilling mice to try and argue them out of it.

My suggestion is that if the idea bothers you, perhaps you should avoid reading threads on that topic. I'm pretty sure the title of this thread isn't cryptic.

Then, you can do whatever you like with your mice, and we'll do whatever we like with ours.

-Bippy

Old 07-11-2002, 05:01 PM   #85
jim
i say let the mice decide their own fate by a show of paws... LIVE FREE AND EAT CHEESE, DEATH BY WHACKING, SUFFOCATION, OR FREEZING. .......all votes will be taken into consideration by the present management... ---jim

Old 07-11-2002, 05:14 PM   #86
snakemanone
killing mice

Hiya all.

I place the mouse in a plastic bag,dunk the bag in water but not completely just enough to sqeeze the air out,seal the bag and freeze,the mice are dead in a matter of seconds,its quick, clean and very humane, i have a slaughtermans liscence and worked in a slaughterhouse for 3 years so i know a bit about how animals suffer believe me this is the best method i have found,apart from buying them ready frozen.

Old 07-12-2002, 02:36 PM   #87
gekko1
sounds bad but i usually just buy a dozen and freeze them alive.

Old 07-13-2002, 01:00 AM   #88
Ken Harbart
That actually is bad gekko. Freezing is a very painful and prolonged death. In humans, exposure to cold is used to test pain thresholds.

Awhile back, the AMVA convened a panel to look into various methods of euthanizing rodents that are to be used as feeders. Their findings were that gassing with high cincentrations of CO2 and cervical dislocation were the two most humane methods. It was asserted that freezing, drowning, asphyxiation, etc, are not humane.

That being said, I want to correct something that was posted earlier in this thread about the mechanism of death in CO poisoning... CO does not bond with oxygen to form CO2. That combination would yield carbonate, which is CO3. Recall if you will, that oxygen is a diatomic molecule, and is rarely found existing as a single atom.

When carbon monoxide enters the blood, it attaches to hemoglobin to form carboxyhemoglobin. Once altered, the hemoglobin is no longer able to transport oxygen.

Carbon monoxide, such as that from a car exhaust is totally unsuitable for euthanizing feeder rodents. CO is only one of several little nasties present in car exhaust, and many toxins would be passed on to the snake.

Old 07-14-2002, 06:39 PM   #89
jim
carboxyhemoglobin.... hmmm i'll have to remember that. thanks for the correction. i think that was my mistake you fixed. have a good one... ---jim

Old 09-07-2002, 09:35 AM   #90
little twiglet
just bash them over the head and be done with it!

i have no sympathy with mice!! HA HA HA HA HA

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google