CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Shedding cycle

Old 11-17-2013, 10:19 PM   #1
anderson110
Shedding cycle

So my new corn's eyes grew cloudy 4-5 days ago, grew progressively cloudier until Saturday, then cleared up again. Today the eyes are very clear and the skin looks quite bright.

Does this mean we're close to shed time?

Old 11-17-2013, 10:52 PM   #2
Joba
Yep. Usually a few days after the eyes clear up. How's the humidity in the viv?

Old 11-18-2013, 04:05 PM   #3
anderson110
I actually don't know.

Ambient humidity is 76%. What should I be targeting?

Old 11-18-2013, 04:57 PM   #4
Nythain
That sounds pretty solid actually. Being a fairly hardy species, they thrive in 40%-60% otherwise known as "normal humidity". Being a bump higher like that shouldn't hurt really (though it does increase chances for a respiratory infection if temps aren't properly maintained and the environment isn't kept clean), and will actually help during the shedding process. So you should hopefully look forward to and expect a fine healthy whole shed!

Old 11-20-2013, 01:21 AM   #5
anderson110
And today, there was a one piece shed, and a brilliant looking corn snake chilling.

Is there anything to coordinate between shedding/feeding/handling? Or is it business as usual?

Old 11-20-2013, 03:03 AM   #6
smigon
Once they've shed, it's business as usual!

Old 11-20-2013, 07:38 AM   #7
TheFrogman
Congratulations !

I want a shed now ! : (

Old 11-20-2013, 08:34 AM   #8
Buzzbee
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFrogman View Post
Congratulations !

I want a shed now ! : (
Know the feeling I'm just waiting to pick mine up tomorrow and see the blue eyes, from what I've been told it's been over a month now :S

Congrats on the shed!!

Old 11-20-2013, 10:29 AM   #9
Nythain
Heh... You *think* you want a shed now until "first shed anxiety" kicks in and you start freaking out about humidity, comfort, if it's taking too long, if the eye caps will come off, if it's ok that it missed it's meal because of it, and the yearning to play with them increases because you really shouldn't.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:45 AM   #10
Buzzbee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nythain View Post
Heh... You *think* you want a shed now until "first shed anxiety" kicks in and you start freaking out about humidity, comfort, if it's taking too long, if the eye caps will come off, if it's ok that it missed it's meal because of it, and the yearning to play with them increases because you really shouldn't.
But.... but... isn't there a 'first shed fairy' that takes care of all that (jking).

I know I'll be anxious as heck, but it'll also mean he's growing up (like the fact he's up to 2 pinkies wasn't a proud moment for me). It's almost like part of the initiation for me: first snake, first shed. Not sure what else should be included in there... first time being pooped on? first bite? first escape? (do NOT want!!)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google