CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

American Express ad playing music

Old 06-21-2014, 11:08 AM   #1
Chip
American Express ad playing music

I don't mind ads and understand they are crucial to supporting the site, but there is currently an AE one that plays Maroon 5 songs when your cursor goes over it. Outside of turning off my speakers, is there a way to mute this?

Old 06-21-2014, 04:40 PM   #2
Chip
This is too weird. It started playing just now when I was in a whole other window. The ad is overreaching the site's typical ad space too. Until I refreshed the page, I couldn't click "New posts" without starting it. I will never own an American Express card.

Old 06-21-2014, 04:43 PM   #3
Chip
Chrome's Adblock extension has fixed the problem, if anyone else is having it. It was just that one ad that had ever done that...

Old 06-21-2014, 04:47 PM   #4
Rich Z
Perhaps Google is getting more money from those advertisers who can post ads with sound. So I doubt that they would give control to viewers to be able to disable it. Honestly, I just keep my speakers off unless I have reason to specifically turn them on, so I would never notice something like that.

But to directly answer your question, no, there isn't any way I am aware of to block audio from Google ads.

BTW, what ad types can even support an audio track? SWF?

I do hope that Google isn't going to shoehorn multimedia ads (video and audio) onto ad hosting sites, otherwise the burden may become intrusive enough that I would have to consider an alternative to that income stream. Not that this site brings in much revenue that way, but heck, every little bit helps.

Old 06-21-2014, 04:59 PM   #5
Chip
Thanks, it looks like Adblock killed that ad. But I liked allowing ads (assuming the revenue isn't generated if blocked), and I like seeing the CS sponsor ads here, especially.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:17 PM   #6
Rich Z
With the Google ads, I only get a small slice of the pie if you click on the ad, so unless you habitually clicked on some of interest to you, blocking their viewing won't have any effect.

The advertisers that show up here using my FaunaAds.com website, however, are paying per day for their ads, so I'm sure they would like to think that most people here are at least seeing them. So yeah, in this case I would think that the ad blocking modules would negatively impact this site if they are widely used by members and guest viewers.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:00 PM   #7
vetusvates
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
Chrome's Adblock extension has fixed the problem, if anyone else is having it. It was just that one ad that had ever done that...
Chip, I use google chrome browser whenever on a windows computer. That adblock is definitely a must-have thing.

Note, even safari has a very similar adblock emblem/icon up there, now that I look. Which I must have put there at some point. Which allows nothing through.

.loL .nigram thgir eht ot pu gniralb emac srennab gnitad dna xes sseletsat dna errazib dna driew dna xes tuoba gniklat erew ew nehw oga gnol noisacco eht rebmemer I

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google