CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Questions about setting up new viv...again....

Old 01-02-2015, 05:43 PM   #11
ArvadaLanee
For my pets, I usually go with animal safe dawn, white vinegar, and boiling/baking. The white vinegar seems to work very well, and it is safer than bleach. That's what I use for aquarium stuff, and that's what I cleaned the viv out with.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:07 PM   #12
HerpsOfNM
excellent!

Bleach is a good disinfectant, but is typically overkill. It is also only best when used in stronger than 10 or even 20% solutions.

The only time I use bleach is when I need to acidify it with vinegar. "Acidified bleach" is super potent and even more overkill. The only time I make it is for heavy disinfection. Last time I used it was a couple years ago when my cricket supplier had the cricket virus hit their facility. They didn't admit to it until they started sending me Jamaican field crickets mixed in with domestic crickets. Again, it's potent and overkill for household use - overkill in the sense that it is what's used to disinfect lab utensils, equipment, and surfaces when dealing with anthrax spores.

The biologist (me) and the microbiologist (my wife) pretty much only use dish soap and vinegar for cleaning.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:23 PM   #13
Afrederi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArvadaLanee View Post
I thought of another question. Is there a type of light that is safe to use for daytime viewing that won't be too harsh for the snake? It wouldn't be on except for when we are checking him out, so not too often, and not left on all day or anything.
Yes, there's several options. There are daylight heat bulbs or other incandescent bulbs that work, but they produce heat (obviously), will reduce tank humidity, and should be replaced periodically. You can buy fluorescent lighting (from pet stores similar to fish tank or from Home Depot or similar); their bulbs last longer than heat lamps and produce less heat though do produce some. Another option is LED lighting (from Home Depot or similar) which produces very little heat and have very long lifetimes.

What would harm the snake would be a heat increase from the lighting or UV light if the snake lacks protective pigments.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google