CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Cages and Rack Systems

Old 01-06-2015, 05:48 PM   #1
flamekitty84
Cages and Rack Systems

Hey all.
So I am interested in getting a couple caging systems for my snakes. I only have two now, but I am certain I will be expanding my collection in the future and figure it would be wise to invest in some nice stackable cages for the two I have now. The aquariums they are in now are nice, but they just take up so much space, so the stackable cages are the way to go for me I believe.
Only I know nothing about them and I have no idea where to purchase these.
My question, what am I getting into if I begin my quest in the stackable caging department, where can I acquire a good model, and what are my options for heating?
I am planning on getting a leopard boa eventually, so I will need something that can accommodate up to a 6 foot boa, as I will probably not be going bigger than this. One brand of cage is preferable, so they would need to make large cages as well. I don't think I like the tub systems simply because I love watching my snakes roam around at night and I would be missing all of that, but the nice (plastic??) enclosures that stack on top of each other with the glass doors on the front are exactly what I had in mind. I just don't know where to go from here.
Do any of you keep your snakes in these? if so, id like to see some pics of your systems and where you got them, if you had any problems, etc.
Thank you so much guys!!

Old 01-06-2015, 07:42 PM   #2
Joba
I have Animal Plastics cages for my boas. I love them. Other similar brands you could explore would be boaphile, Boa Master, and Vision Cages. I use flexwatt heating with my AP's and it works great. They'll even put a groove in the bottom for you to put the thermostat probe. I gotta run. I'll add a few pics later and anything else I think of.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:23 PM   #3
Joba
Here's a pic. three AP T8's (4X2X1) topped off with a T-12 (4X2X2).

Old 01-06-2015, 10:54 PM   #4
flamekitty84
those look great! and u got them from Animal Plastics?
so I have a 5 foot corn, would she be happy in one of the bottom cages? those r 4x2x1?
and would a leopard boa at 6 feet be happy there as well? provided I have all the right stuff
im kinda confused about how they work tho. they are all sold individually, correct? and they all come with built-in heat tape or something? so does this mean they can all be hooked up to seperate thermostats to accommodate different breeds with diff heat requirements? and im wondering about the placement of the tape, if its only on one side like it needs to be. im also curious about optional lighting. id like to have heat lighting for my boa in addition to the heat tape or whatever it comes with. do these allow for bulbs and stuff like that? im worried about keeping the ambiant air above 85 for the boas and basking/warm area of 92+.
also, I see you have two that are divided. that is the same as the very bottom one, just with a divider and double doors, correct?
sorry for all the questions!!! these are quite expensive and id like to know what im getting into

Old 01-06-2015, 11:50 PM   #5
Joba
I got them from AP, correct. One of the reasons why I like them, and I think you would too, is that their customer service is great. I'm always emailing them with questions, just like you have, and they always respond the next day and are super nice. Believe it or not, most boa keepers that I know use 4X2X1 for all but the largest female columbians and/or BCC. For a corn, just be sure to give her plenty of hiding places in a cage that size. Those cages are really reasonable and plenty big enough for even your eventual leopard, IMO. I'm not sure, though, about light bulbs: certainly not in the T-8, maybe in a taller one like the T-12 with a cover over the bulb to protect the snake. You'd have to ask them. The only thing I don't love about AP's are the divided doors; Boaphiles have the single, hinge-down door, which I think would make cleaning (or pulling out a large snake) easier. You'd have to compare and make your own decision based on what's important to you.

I order my flexwatt from Reptile Basics. They cut it to length and wire it to a plug-in, so it's ready to attach and plug in and work, just like that, for about $17 including shipping. Then you just tape it to the underside of one end of the cage using the silver duck tape along the edges (You Tube it), plug it into your thermostat, and you're good to go. The cage comes with a small groove on the underside, into which you insert your T-stat probe; that way it sits right against the flexwatt. I choose to also use a separate probe thermometer on the hot side floor of the cage (as you can imagine, you'll be setting the t-stat to maybe 98 in order to get a 92-94 hot spot on the inside floor); some people just check with a temp gun. Another great thing about the PVC cages, is that you can even use separate t-stats on each side of the divided cage and run different temps on each side. I've done that and it works.

And yes, the middle two cages in that stack are the same T-8's but with a divider for (temporarily) smaller snakes. It's a pop-in pop-out divider. I chose to not seal the divider because I knew it was temporary, but you could seal it with the sealant that comes with the cage. It fits very tightly, though.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:56 PM   #6
flamekitty84
thank you for all the info.
After youtubing some unboxes and set ups, I decided the Boaphiles would be easier for me, and the Animal Plastics come out to almost the same price with all the accessories.
I am torn though between several options for cage sizes.
I am looking at the 48x24x12 cage with no divider, which is a lot bigger than my corns 30x12x12 20 gallon long aquarium. and, since I have a baby that will need a bigger home soon, am wondering if ordering two of these bigger ones would be wise.
OR, they also have a 48x24x12 cage that is divided into two equal cages. This would be a little less than 24x24x12 for each corn snake. and im wondering, if at 5 feet long each, this would house my two corn snakes happily? or would I be better off with two big ones?

Old 01-07-2015, 07:15 PM   #7
flamekitty84
if im doing the math right and I get the 48x24x12 double cage, it will end up to be about 24x24x12 for each cage.
the divider ill say is 8 inches, so each cage would be 20x24x12.
my 20gal aquarium is 30x12x12.
so that's 30X12=360 square inches of floor space
the two cages would be 20X24=480 square inches of floor space.
so it comes out to be more floor space than my aquarium now, which is big enough for an adult corn snake from what im hearing
im thinking this is the safe option, just so I don't get too big of a cage, but I can also get a single 48x24x12 cage for a boa eventually and be able to stack them still.

if any of this makes sense

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google