CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Shedding problems

Old 03-23-2002, 10:50 AM   #1
Vree
Shedding problems

I have a 8 month old female corn, and she's in the middle of a shed. She has managed to get the old skin off her head, but she still has half of it still on. Should i try to assist her with the shed by gently peeling off the remaining skin, or would that hurt her? If so, could you give me some ideas of what to do?
Thanx in advance,
Vree

Old 03-23-2002, 04:42 PM   #2
Simon
Humidity Problem

Well basically you can try and help her out. But instead of just peeling it off her, try soaking her in luke warm water for at least 15 min to get the old skin moist and easy to come off. After the 15 min, you can get a wet paper towel and take the snake out and let it slide throught the paper towel. This should help it she it's skin off right away. Leaving unshed skin on the snake isn't good. It could cause a lot of problems including 'dead musle tissue' which could make the snake lose a part (depending on which part of old skin is left on) This happens the most at tails so some herpers here can tell you their stories of having snake's tail falling off.... Next time when your snake is about to shed, make sure that that humidity level is at least up to 50 by misting the tank. So that it could shed properly. Good luck and Happy Herping!

Old 03-23-2002, 10:14 PM   #3
Kevin M
If I may ask, Is this shedding problem something new or does this happen with some regularity?

-Kev

Old 03-24-2002, 04:15 PM   #4
Brian Miller
I normally see my snakes in their water bowls before they are going to shed so I would say increase the humidity. When the snakes dont have that humidity I see sheding problems. Good luck.

Old 03-24-2002, 07:01 PM   #5
Kevin M
I was going to suggest the same thing. 'Tis why I was curious if this was a new problem or some recurring.

-Kev

Old 03-25-2002, 09:25 PM   #6
Ben
heres what i do

whenever my snow corn is about to shed, i soak it in warm water (not hot) for bout 15 minutes. If by then i see any skin peeling off, i soak a wash cloth or a rag in the water. i then hold then snake between the cloth in my hands and the snake will crawl right out w/ the shed skin in the cloth in my hand. hope this helps some. later.. -Ben

Old 04-04-2002, 10:40 PM   #7
JakeTheSnake
Well I usually let them go for a swim once a week, and also change word every other day. I have also hadve good sheds and never seen any problems. I notice some of the wild corns in my area always live not too far from bodies of water. Therefor it seems a swim wouldnt be a bad thing. Keepem good and hydrated.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google