CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

are you still feeding your snake mice & rats ???
Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 09:10 PM   #81
Drizzt80
Snowfyre, I love your process. I would love to be able to offer the variety you just described in feeding your snakes. Difference in your method is that you are feeding WHOLE animals to your snakes, that in my humble opinion is a huge difference from offering chicken meat with some bone material.

Vinman, intent wasn't really to be harsh, but to point out important discrepencies and to offer my opinion on feeding practices with the knowledge that many new, first time owners, come here looking for information. Like I said, I hope your method truly works for you in the long run, but I don't trust it based on 2 1/2 years of informal observation. As stated previously, I would also need 'hard' data showing it has some form of benefit over current standard practices. I cannot afford to jeopardize the investment I have made in my collection. I have no problem being respectful, and calling a truce (not that we were really at a word-war yet), I was hoping that I was being respectful to begin with when I used quotes where necessary to point out discrepencies etc. Either way, good luck with your process!

I love the input that Kathy provided, and would agree (hope that was the intent of her shared information) that as a rare, stop-gap, occurence, feeding chicken parts would be acceptable.

E.g.g, love that paragraph describing the 'possible' diet of a wild corn. It was stated exactly how I was thinking it.

D80

Old 02-22-2005, 10:40 PM   #82
Gintha
First thing I learn about reptillian nutrition in my veterinary courses.. feed live healthy animals as foods. Even "Mice on Ice" are not considered to be a good food source, but are more highly viewed then any other alternative source. I emailed a snape expert who teaches at a veterinary school in the UK, he said flat out, cooked meat that is bought at the store has about 1/100 of the vitamins and nutrients your snake needs, it can survive on the meat but will not be considered "healthy". Hes going to try and post on here later with some healthy alternatives to mice... tho he says you should be able to get mice on ice for less than what you would get chicken bits. I pay 18 cents each in Canada.. no sure what they go for in the US.. Saw them 10 for a dollar when I was in MI tho.

Old 02-23-2005, 01:04 AM   #83
Flygning
10 mice for a dollar? Holy cow. I can get 10 crickets for a dollar at my local store...Mice go for 85 cents-$1.50 where I get them. I think you can get them for less than 50 cents each if you buy in bulk.

Old 02-23-2005, 01:13 AM   #84
Gintha
I can order them offline for around 3 cents each.. if I buy 50 pounds LOL.

Old 02-23-2005, 08:36 AM   #85
Vinman
Thumbs down e.e, gutta

This is uncalled for - (The big thing I worry about Vinman is that you, knowing you goofed off in school and aren't very literate, haven't taken the time to try to teach yourself more words and haven't even attempted to spell them correctly, even using basic "cheater's programs" that help do it for you. This IMO shows at least a basic level of ignorance, that I am worried will be transferred to your snakes, ultimately resulting in premature death. Now that you "let the chicken out of the bag", I have a few things to say.) - What does knowing how to spell, have to do with taking care of snakes I been breeding snakes before you were born, this may sound harsh. but you post this kinda crap about me. wether I use a cheater progam or not the fact is that I still dont spell very well. So it looks good . big deal so if I used a cheter progam and the words are spelled correctly all of a sudden now I know what I doing . This makes no sense. weather the words are correctly spelled or not you can read what I'm saying.If you are so smart how come you dont know that I give my snakes organ meat I posted it 3 times you didn't read this, or were you too much in a hurry being a smart ass teen age punk! For a guy that goes to collage ,you write like this ( A baby corn's diet is MOSTLY things besides mice. ) Is this how you were taught in school to compose a sentence ? I sure their is more in your post, if I wanted to, but I got better things to do with my time. people who live in glass houses should not throw stones . Screw you. everybody else hane a nice day. VINNY

Old 02-23-2005, 09:21 AM   #86
Vinman
Drizz 80

Read your post agin but put yourself in my shoes.turn it around as if I was writing this to you, see it from my eyes. I feel you were harsh. Maybe you did not mean this to come out the way you did.I know some of my posts sound harsh but this the lack of my spelling skills as I said before limited words that I can spell or spell them close enuf for pepole to undrestand what I'm writing. Someone attacks me then I do it right back. If you talk to the people that I talk to on the phone they will tell a you whole differnt story. If you dont belave me talk to Rich,Don,and Kathy if she remembers me. they will all tell you how polite I am. no hard fellings hope everthing is cool with you.It is with me.

Old 02-23-2005, 10:14 AM   #87
TripleMoonsExotic
E.E.G. does have a point, Vinman. If sentences and spelling are correct, you appear more professional and educated. This is how I viewed his statment. It does get irritating trying to decipher messages that are posted with inappropriate English.

Old 02-23-2005, 10:39 AM   #88
Gintha
Cooking food strips it of its good stuff like vitamins and ommega acids... also calcium. Do you supplement the nutrients the snakes need or just feed them the cooked meats?

Old 02-23-2005, 11:29 AM   #89
luvofthechase
I would honestly like to see the results of your diet in 10-15 years myself. I dont think it is complete BS, however i do think it needs some more study before it can be advertised as "the right thing" per se.
I too would be interested in finding out what it wrong with feeding Gerbils. i have always heard that feding hamster pinks is a good thing to try for reluctant feeders.

*Edited because i was beeing an A$$*

Old 02-23-2005, 11:54 AM   #90
Jimmy Johnson
thanks

Thank you for removing that statement.
It hit close to home.
peace?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Closed Thread