CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Feeding Schedule

Old 04-12-2002, 05:13 PM   #1
Gemini
Feeding Schedule

Hi!
I have a silver and black cornsnake that is almost 2 years old now. He seems pretty skinny for being almost 2 feet long. Any advice for his feeding schedule? I've been feeding him frozen pinkies (the babies) a few times a week. Thanks!

Old 04-12-2002, 06:24 PM   #2
nicky
I''m sorry did you say opinkies?

Um when you say pinkies you don't mean the baby mice that are olny 1 cm long and 1 cm thick do you? At 2 years old you should be on medium mice. I would think. But hey I could be wrong if you think your snake can handler more than your giving it then try. Just don't over do it. Say your on 2 small adult mice try 3 if it looks skiny.

Old 04-12-2002, 09:39 PM   #3
Alicia
Well, I can only tell you what I feed my 2 year olds. I have one that eats 1-2 full size mice every 5-7 days. The others are eating hoppers to weanlings. I would get some fuzzies and feed him one and see how he does. If he does well then feed him a fuzzie twice a week (if he will eat them) till he puts on some weight. When he starts eating larger prey he will get bigger around and you will be able to move up the prey size as he grows. Eating the pinks will keep him alive but he won't be able to thrive.

This is just my 2 cents.......
Hope it helps.

Alicia

Old 04-13-2002, 11:19 PM   #4
Jr Nimeskern
FOOD

I'm not to sure im just a newbie owner... but my 1 year old snake who is about 15 in long is sorta big... but should I be feeding him fuzzys? or hoppers? he seems so... small... I need help on this as much as Gemini does... thanks
Corny...

Old 04-13-2002, 11:33 PM   #5
Alicia
Corny

If your snake is a year old it probably can handle fuzzies just fine. Hoppers are a bit bigger and if your snake is only about 15" long it might be too much meal for it. I have a 10 month old female who will be moving up to hoppers, she can easily put away 2 fuzzies in one feeding and it barely makes a lump. When my snakes can eat 2 or more food items in one feeding and the lump is small it's time to move up That is how I decide but others may have methods that work well also. Hopefully others will advise on this too.

Alicia

Old 04-13-2002, 11:58 PM   #6
Jr Nimeskern
Thanks Alicia for the advice... I think ill try your method it seems alot easier then trying to figure it out... ill start feeding him fuzzys...
Corny...

Old 04-14-2002, 06:33 AM   #7
jim
just another opinion...

this is how i feed my sub-adults...
i feed food items that when all the way down i can just tell that they are there and feed 2 items... when the snake reaches a size where it comfortably wants hree items i move to 2 items one size up... might be a little more expensive than one item of a larger size but i think the growth rate is better with higher numbers of smaller items and the digestion rate seems to be faster too...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google