CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Snake's Vent

Old 04-13-2002, 01:55 PM   #1
CCBarn
Question Snake's Vent

This is more of an Anatomy 101 question than a health question, but this seemed like the best place to ask: What does a corn snake's vent look like? It sounds like a stupid question (and may be one), but what I have thought was the vent on my two-month-old's belly (a small, centimeter-or-so-long "slit" running the same direction as the body a few inches from the tip of his tail) doesn't really look like the pictures I've seen of various snakes' vents (a pronounced "overlap" of ventral scales in about the same spot). So what am I seeing? Some embryonic leftover from his pre-hatchling days that will go away after a few sheddings, or what? I haven't really tried to pin him down to take an extra-close look, since it seems to stress him out, but I thought I'd go ahead and ask you folks, since this has been bugging the you-know-what out of me.

Aside from having a distracted owner, he seems to be a happy, healthy, "natural phase" corn snake. Eats well, drinks well, poops well.

Any info any of you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-13-2002, 11:53 PM   #2
Serpwidgets
You're describing the "belly button" which may or may not disappear. My 7 year old CalKing still has an obvious slit like that. (maybe he's an "outie")

The vent is the scale that is twice as long, and like the others goes all the way across the belly. It's a few scales behind the belly button. Compare to your own anatomy and it's pretty similar in distance from the belly button.

Old 04-14-2002, 12:14 PM   #3
CCBarn
Thanks for the info. Your description is accurate, although it would seem to make my "he" a "she," since the tail tapers sharply off immediately after (what I now know to be) the vent...which is fine. I'm not planning on breeding, just enjoying. She'll just have to get used to having a boy's name!

Old 04-14-2002, 12:28 PM   #4
CornsnakeKeeper
it's a few inches from the end...
Right where it starts to get thinner.
It's the point where the belly scales turn from 1 scale to 2 scales next to each other. It should be quite obvious.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google