CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Sad Accident. Advice?

Old 01-08-2006, 12:38 PM   #11
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbdorfer
I seriously doubt that Dean would let anyone handle a just fed snake
Dean, this is a rather unfortunate accident and I hope all goes well. Keep a good thought, maybe he'll shake it off in a few days. They are pretty hardy after all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilder
I have to wonder how that's a problem. I handle my snakes before putting them into their feeding containers on feeding day. Then they go right back to their vivs, and I don't doubt that's what Dean was doing, too. I hardly see him as feeding his snakes, then tossing them around to random people to hold.

So sorry to hear about this, Dean, I hope he'll be okay. I would think if it were something really bad he wouldn't be acting more or less normal, but I guess we'll all have to wait and see.
Thanks for the nice words, guys, and for the clarification. I really didn't realize that chisoxfan was implying that I was allowing handling after feeding. Of course I wasn't; the concept is so alien I didn't even consider that that was what chisoxfan meant. Heck, anything on fuzzies and up doesn't get handled by me before the fourth day after feeding.

Old 01-08-2006, 12:46 PM   #12
Hurley
Head tilt is generally a sign of vestibular problems (balance center). If the inner ear on one side was traumatized or that area of the brain, you'll get a snake that tilts it's head to the side of the lesion (problem). Is the snake moving normally, otherwise?

There isn't much that can be done for the little one except waiting it out and seeing if it recovers. If the head tilt persists, but the snake moves and eats just fine, it's not really much more than a cosmetic defect. They can live just fine with a head tilt (assuming it's vestibular and not spinal injury...but I wouldn't expect the little one to move normally or at all if that's the case.)

About the only medication that could be beneficial in that instance (and only if it's a brain injury) would have been an ultra-short acting steroid, but honestly that needs to happen pretty much right away to have any effect and I don't know I would have jumped for that anyway without other signs of brain injury such as fully dilated pupils or uneven pupils, etc. etc.

What I would personally do is give the little one 7 to 10 days of rest and relaxation before even attempting to feed again (assuming it doesn't regurge). Feed something tiny the first time so you can assess how much trouble (if any) the snake will have in getting its meal down. The head tilt may or may not go away, but usually won't affect the snake if it's purely a vestibular problem. They adjust.

Old 01-08-2006, 12:50 PM   #13
Taceas
I'm so sorry to hear about your ordeal Dean. Thankfully I've never "accidently squished" any of my snakes, but I can attest to their hardiness and resiliency in these circumstances.

Give him some time to recover, after having my neck pinched, I'd have it at an angle too. Don't be too broken up about it, accidents happen. At least we know you're a good guy at the end of the day.

And as for you...
Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfan0971
yourletting people handle your snakes, and feeding them at the same time....you need to chill out with the stress your putting on these snakes...i hope your snakes survives and is healthy enough to survive
When you can give worthwhile advice without being condescending maybe people will actually give a hoot about what you say. At least he doesn't consider the risk of cannibalization a "rare artform". You sure are well on your way to making LOTS of friends around here, I'll give you that.

Sometimes the tripe needs to stay inside the cow...

Old 01-08-2006, 01:07 PM   #14
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurley
Head tilt is generally a sign of vestibular problems (balance center). If the inner ear on one side was traumatized or that area of the brain, you'll get a snake that tilts it's head to the side of the lesion (problem). Is the snake moving normally, otherwise?
Thanks for responding, Connie. I'm not sure if the tilt is related to strain/injury at the base of the skull, or in the neck region immediately before it. All other movement is normal, except for the head tilt, and what I'm thinking is a bit of a neck crane in the region I described. So if his spine is injured, his spinal cord appears unsevered. I'm at his mercy for observation; I really don't want to take him out.

Quote:
...I don't know I would have jumped for that anyway without other signs of brain injury such as fully dilated pupils or uneven pupils, etc. etc.
The pupils seemed to be dilating and contracting normally in response to light. I tested this a number of times throughout the night when he was facing the front of the tub, outside of his hide.

Quote:
What I would personally do is give the little one 7 to 10 days of rest and relaxation before even attempting to feed again (assuming it doesn't regurge). Feed something tiny the first time so you can assess how much trouble (if any) the snake will have in getting its meal down. The head tilt may or may not go away, but usually won't affect the snake if it's purely a vestibular problem. They adjust.
I will follow this advice to the letter. Thanks again Connie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taceas
I'm so sorry to hear about your ordeal Dean. Thankfully I've never "accidently squished" any of my snakes, but I can attest to their hardiness and resiliency in these circumstances.

Give him some time to recover, after having my neck pinched, I'd have it at an angle too. Don't be too broken up about it, accidents happen. At least we know you're a good guy at the end of the day.
Thanks Misty. I appreciate it. I guess we learn from our mistakes. You can bet your butt that nothing like this will ever happen to me again.

Old 01-08-2006, 01:14 PM   #15
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taceas
Sometimes the tripe needs to stay inside the cow...
Yeah, but his user title is fitting. I've worked with a number of Jamaican people in the past, so I know what it means. An online slang dictionary could probably tell you. I don't think Rich Z. would allow it if he knew what it meant.

Old 01-08-2006, 01:21 PM   #16
BeckyG
Dean, I'm so sorry to hear about this. I hope the baby is ok.

And I'm sorry you have to come here and deal with smart aleck know-it-alls who don't really know what they're talking about. Anyone who knows you will know that the last thing you would ever be is careless with your snakes.

Old 01-08-2006, 01:31 PM   #17
ultimuttone
Oh my, I am so sorry for both you and Bill. Of course we will all be thinking of you and waiting to hear how things go.
That is always one of my worries, especially with the little buggers who think they are not ready to go back to their tubs yet. As careful as we try to be they don't always cooperate. A few weeks ago I caught the end of Axle's tail in the edge of his Critter Keeper when I was putting him away. I felt so bad and his tail had a visible bent spot. I realize that is not the same as the neck, but the Critter Keepers shut so much tighter than the Sterilite or Rubbermaid tubs, I was sure I had broken it. But after a few days it was back to normal. I hope this is how it goes for Bill.

Old 01-08-2006, 01:42 PM   #18
cornsnakekid92
I am so sorry for you Dean and i hope our little guy pulls through.even though i don't know too much about snakes i know you would never hurt your on perpose and yours should be fine!

Old 01-08-2006, 02:05 PM   #19
Roy Munson
Thanks Becky, Traci, and Chris. You guys are great. I'll keep you posted.

Old 01-08-2006, 02:58 PM   #20
princess
I've been away for a little while so I've not been on the site and missed this all. I'm so sorry to hear about the little guy and hope he has a full recovery. We all know that your snakes get top notch care and that accidents will sometimes happen all the same. One of my snakes got dropped by a friend from about 4' as a hatchling and slithered spasmodically for a few minutes afterwards...2½ years on, she's grown up to be a beautiful big fattie who performs at 100%...even though at the time I was sure she was a goner.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google