CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Getting Discouraged

Old 04-24-2006, 09:04 PM   #11
Joni Garcia
Sorry to hear about your bloodred having regurge problems. Sounds like good news from the vet, though.

As far as the Grapefruit Seed Extract goes... I had lots of trouble finding it too. I know you mentioned looking online if you can't find some. I searched online and found different brands etc. I finally ordered it through Ebay and purchased the NutriBiotic brand.

I checked and the seller I got mine from doesn't have any for sale right now (she was great... new, unopened bottles with Lot Exp date of 03/11). So if you can't find any, you might want to try Ebay. Good luck with your little one and keep us updated.

Old 04-24-2006, 10:16 PM   #12
BeckyG
Thank you Dean. I do feel a bit better having an objective opinion. I tend to go from wishful thinking to giving up hope. I was also impressed that he consulted another vet.

Joni, thanks for the well wishes, and the advice. I'll be sure and check e-bay for the GSE, too.

P.S. Dean, Onyx shed today. I measured him using Serp's program and he measured 38.5 inches. I tried to get a good head shot, but he wouldn't be still. I think I'm going to have to enlist the rugrat's help with that.

Old 04-24-2006, 11:25 PM   #13
MegF.
You are right in that I got it from a health food store. We have several around me. I found this online and it's the same stuff I got from my health food store.
http://www.nutriteam.com/Grapefruit_...p-1-c-264.html Hope the link helps. You'll want the liquid extract. I used 3 drops per 8 oz. of water.

Old 04-25-2006, 01:09 AM   #14
dionythicus
I'm glad you got the grapefruit seed extract. I was going to offer to send you some from our local natural foods store. Keep us posted!

Old 04-25-2006, 05:56 PM   #15
BeckyG
Thank you for the link Meg. I googled it, but didn't find it anywhere else for as low a price. I'll be ordering some posthaste.

dionythicus, I really appreciate your offer as well.

Some good news is that Scarlett pooed last night. It wasn't much of a poo, mostly urates, but a poo nonetheless. At lease her digestive system is still working--once the food gets past her stomach, that is. She was cruising her viv last night, too because her little water bowl was moved.

Now all there is to do is take a deep breath and wait patiently until time to feed her again, a week from tomorrow. And hope the other medicine works.

Old 04-29-2006, 09:42 PM   #16
BeckyG
Update

Scarlett regurged her fourth feeding. It was another head, injected with the anti-vomiting medicine the vet gave me. I guess it takes a few doses to take effect. About half the head was digested, so maybe she got a little strength from it. She doesn't really look like she's losing weight yet, but she seems less active than before. I'll continue with the GSE in her water, and wait 8-10 days and try again.

Here's a picture:

Old 04-29-2006, 10:34 PM   #17
MegF.
Sorry to hear about the regurge. I guess all you can do is keep trying.

Old 04-30-2006, 08:47 AM   #18
BeckyG
Thanks Meg. I will keep trying.

Edited to add:

I just checked her and she left a relatively good sized poop, considering all she digested was half a pinky head. At least she is getting some nutrition out of what she is eating. I'm hoping she absorbed some of that medicine as well. It is supposed to strengthen the muscles of the digestive system as well as prevent nausea and vomiting.

Bloodreds have been my dream morph ever since I discovered their existence. I don't want to give up just yet.

Old 04-30-2006, 09:19 AM   #19
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyG
I just checked her and she left a relatively good sized poop, considering all she digested was half a pinky head. At least she is getting some nutrition out of what she is eating. I'm hoping she absorbed some of that medicine as well. It is supposed to strengthen the muscles of the digestive system as well as prevent nausea and vomiting.

Bloodreds have been my dream morph ever since I discovered their existence. I don't want to give up just yet.
These mixed results (some digestion/persistent regurge) must be causing you quite a bit of stress. I'm really pulling for this girl. I'm no expert in this, but I have to wonder if there comes a point where 8-10 days is too long to wait to attempt another meal. Yeah, on one hand you have to worry about whether the digestive juices have been given enough time to recover, but on the other hand, the weakening effects of malnutrition have to be weighed too. I don't have an answer to this, but it's something I've thought about in cases like this one. I guess in your case, I'd probably wait the full amount of time, in hopes that the medicine and GSE do their thing. But if the next feeding attempt results in a regurge, I'd have to seriously think about approaching this differently. Scarlett's just lucky to have such a dedicated keeper.

I like the new Onyx avatar. I hope you post photos of that handsome boy soon...

Old 04-30-2006, 01:28 PM   #20
BeckyG
You're absolutely right, Dean. The mixed results are causing me to both pull my hair out, and have hope.

And I believe you are right about doing things differently. I debated this point with myself for a long time, and finally decided to go ahead and feed her even though it hadn't been the full 10 days. My reasoning was that the medicine won't do her any good if it isn't inside her.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that things will turn out for the best.

I'll post some pictures of Onyx soon. Things with Scarlett have sort of thrown everything a bit off kilter.

I really appreciate everyone's support, and I'll keep you updated.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google