CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

"First" Meal.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:57 AM   #1
ssmith_1187
"First" Meal.

We’ll after waiting the recommended 3 days for her “first” meal, Saturday was much anticipated……was she going to eat or not.

I can tell you…..there was NO WAY she was going to sit still in her deli cup that she arrived in So I had to pull out the plastic shoe box.

Once she settled down a bit a 1.57 gram pinky was no match for her.

I am trying something with her that I didn’t do with my first…..I slit the pinky prior to feeding. About 2 hours after being feed she was out and about cruising in her viv.

Regards,
Steve

Old 02-26-2007, 09:21 AM   #2
Fenderplayer108
You have to remember that snakes are opportunistic feeders, they will eat as much as they possibly can when its offered.

How much does she weigh? a 1.6 gram pinky is really small, she could probably take a 3g pink.

Also, slitting is great because it aids in growth and digestion.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:28 AM   #3
ssmith_1187
When I got her on Wednesday (2/21 via Kathy Love)....she weighed in at 24 grams.

Kathy wanted her first 4 meals to be on the smallish side just in case she is having stress related issues from the journey.

Regards,
Steve

Old 02-26-2007, 09:31 AM   #4
Fenderplayer108
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmith_1187
When I got her on Wednesday (2/21 via Kathy Love)....she weighed in at 24 grams.

Kathy wanted her first 4 meals to be on the smallish side just in case she is having stress related issues from the journey.

Regards,
Steve
Alright, thats fine! A smallish meal for her would probably be a 3g pinky. Shes easily capable of taking two 3g pinks, or a 5g fuzzy, being 24 grams.

Great choice going with Kathy too!

Old 02-26-2007, 09:39 AM   #5
ssmith_1187
There are a few things I am doing differently this time around.....slitting the pinkies for one, photographing the pinkies is another and weighing her more often.

Kathy has been nothing but a pleasure to work with.

Regards,
Steve

Old 02-26-2007, 05:02 PM   #6
kathylove
Yes, it is a tiny pink for her. But because of the problems with the first snake, it is nice to be ultra conservative this time, at least for the first few meals. But of course, you can feed her more often (maybe every 4 or 5 days). Once we are sure she is on the right track, you can start increasing meals up to the point where she shows a definite bulge after eating.

So far, so good!!

Old 02-26-2007, 05:10 PM   #7
ssmith_1187
I wonder what she was thinking after she ate it...”That’s it...what a cheapo???”

They say slow and steady wins the race

Regards,
Steve

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google