CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Corns living together?? Yes or no?

Old 09-24-2007, 03:15 PM   #31
susang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci
No one has been able to answer that question yet...

Nanci

Exactly, they want us to give all the reasons why not with a smile on our face, but have yet to say what is good about it for the snake. Well there is the fact we all know the snakes fall in love with each sleep in the same place and become happy little campers. susan

Old 09-24-2007, 03:21 PM   #32
HaisseM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsevol
Well let's see here...
We have a whole list of reason why you should NOT co-habitate. It appears some people refuse to listen, or believe.

To these people, I ask...
How does co-habitation benefit THE SNAKES?...not how it benefits you. But how does it benefit those you are responsible for?

I was forced to co-hab once. A housing unit had a meltdown in its heating element and nearly started a fire in my house. I had no choice but to cohab 2 pair of corns and it resulted in the death of one of my beautiful girls.
You're talking about cohabing after years of being solitary... Yea i'd hate to have my own room, then get a room.... Wouldn't you?

This list of arguments to NOT COhabitate are somewhat unfounded...

Stress (its been proven that not all corn-snakes get stressed) Matter of fact I hear about corn snakes not eating when they don't share a cage with another corn snake

Disease (I've read about corn snakes getting a disease without another snake in the cage) and if one of my corn snakes got sick and it was in the same room as another corn snake but different cage, I would do the same for both regardless of which one was sick (since there might be something in their diet that would cause the illiness

Eating each other... (Come on, too many talk like this has happened to them just because they heard about it, not seen it)

Solitary by nature....What animals aren't solitary by nature, heck people are solitary by nature....

Everything named is a reason not to have a corn snake, not just a reason to not co-hab them.

Before you/anyone can talk about reasons not to cohab, I think new reason need to be found why not... because the old arguments just don't seem enough......

I will say this against Co-Habing... if you have 5+ snakes in one cage, then yes I would imagine over time that could become bad, but the key word is imagine

Old 09-24-2007, 03:27 PM   #33
Nanci
Actually, there was a case of one corn eating another just this summer. I think the pics are removed, though. It was very, very disturbing.

Nanci

Old 09-24-2007, 03:29 PM   #34
HaisseM
Quote:
Originally Posted by susang
Exactly, they want us to give all the reasons why not with a smile on our face, but have yet to say what is good about it for the snake. Well there is the fact we all know the snakes fall in love with each sleep in the same place and become happy little campers. susan
LOL its not about saying it with a smile on your face, its about approach. Just like in real life if you're giving someone bad news you don't yell/scream/throw your arms in the air wildly... Do you? That same needs to be used for internet talk. Messages are harder to read threw forums than when spoken and that needs to be understood. Also people are stating opinions and making them seem as facts.... They aren't facts...... While they are very valid opinions and should be taken into considerations they aren't facts.

Old 09-24-2007, 03:31 PM   #35
HaisseM
Quote:
Actually, there was a case of one corn eating another just this summer. I think the pics are removed, though. It was very, very disturbing.

Nanci
I've also seen a picture of one of this board.... but here is my thoughts and this is a very unpopular position...

Just because something happens doesn't mean we need to change everything so it NEVER happens again..... Thats the problem with today's society, we want a perfect world and it just doesn't exist

Old 09-24-2007, 03:34 PM   #36
HaisseM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsevol
Well let's see here...
We have a whole list of reason why you should NOT co-habitate. It appears some people refuse to listen, or believe.

To these people, I ask...
How does co-habitation benefit THE SNAKES?...not how it benefits you. But how does it benefit those you are responsible for?
I can answer that.....

My snakes SEEM to get along just fine and SEEM happy..... and thats reason enough for me. I use the word SEEM, because like most everything else we really can't tell. They don't get sick, they don't regruge, and they don't eat each other.... So i think they aren't stress and if you aren't stressed then you must be happy

Old 09-24-2007, 03:34 PM   #37
snakewispera snr
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaisseM
Before you/anyone can talk about reasons not to cohab, I think new reason need to be found why not... because the old arguments just don't seem enough......

I will say this against Co-Habing... if you have 5+ snakes in one cage, then yes I would imagine over time that could become bad, but the key word is imagine
Why would I need to find new reasons if they are perfectly valid in the first place.And the old argument is reason enough.
Unless its because you find it difficult to defend against a solid reason
Or you just want us to agree
MIKE

Old 09-24-2007, 03:35 PM   #38
Nanci
"There's never a problem with cohabitation till there's a problem with cohabitation."...Janine

Nanci

Old 09-24-2007, 03:36 PM   #39
HaisseM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakewispera snr
Why would I need to find new reasons if they are perfectly valid in the first place.And the old argument is reason enough.
Unless its because you find it difficult to defend against a solid reason
Or you just want us to agree
MIKE
They aren't valid....

My snakes aren't stress, haven't gotten or passed on any diseases and still haven't eaten each other.

Old 09-24-2007, 03:38 PM   #40
HaisseM
Quote:
"There's never a problem with cohabitation till there's a problem with cohabitation."...Janine

Nanci
Just like the saying

There are two types of motorcycle riders, those who have fallen and those who WILL......

Its a silly statement that most people will say, WON'T HAPPEN TO ME

and hey I crashed my bike and I still don't think it holds true

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google