CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Building your own rack system

Old 05-21-2003, 01:48 AM   #11
Khaman
No, but I never sweated that part I just use a soldering gun.
I did 81 6qt rubbermaids in 20 min with six holes in each...true the garage smelled funny for a week but oh well.

Old 05-21-2003, 11:35 AM   #12
CowBoyWay
Question Sealer (types?) recommendations?

Quote:
5) stain and sealer of your choice

Of all the "water seals, what are the pro's and cons of the most popular ones?
Such as:
"Thompsons" (Brand) water seal?
polyurethane?
epoxie's?
others?
In ones opinion what is the best?
What sealer is the easiest to work with?
Any toxic residue sealers out there, to be avoided?

With any water seal treatment, I would think that a complete "curing/ drying" would be of key importance, before introducing ones Corns. imho.

Is it best to attach the Flexwatt to the pegboard back?
http://www.cornsnakes.cm/forums/show...racks+flexwatt7g

Old 05-21-2003, 03:42 PM   #13
CAV
CowBoyWay,

I tried to address each of those questions. Here are my personal choices:

I used a combo stain/sealer. I prefer these stains because they give a even color, without over-penetrating. They are more or less water resistant, don't give off fumes (once dry), and leave a smoother finish. On the shelves that is all I used.

For the exterior, I used a water based semi-gloss urethane spray. The water base dries faster, cleans up quicker, and lasts longer than regular poly. After the stain dries for 24 hours, I apply the finish. All that is required is one hour between finish coats. (After each coat, I lightly sand with 0000 steel wool.)

I moved the rack inside that night with no detectable smell. I then waited for about 3-4 days before placing the tubs and snakes inside.

Old 05-21-2003, 11:48 PM   #14
AggieTiff
Hey Cav, just to compare...how many ventilation holes are you putting in your containers? I have a similar rack system and have been putting two rows of holes on all four sides of each of the sterilite containers. They seem to work fine, but I was just curious how you did yours. Thanks for any input.

Old 05-22-2003, 10:24 AM   #15
CAV
This is one of those "it depends" answers

I have experimented with this. The ambient temperature in your home will determine the necessary ventilation requirements. I tried front and back only, sides only, and all four sides. The results varied substantially.

Here is what worked best for me:

I drill 1/8" holes at 1" intervals around the perimeter. In the middle third of each side, I added a second row offset over the first row. You can see this in the close-up picture posted earlier in this thread. To date, all sheds have been complete, so I am happy with the results. I decided on this design based on the condensation levels inside. I use fresh Repti-Bark, which as a high moisture content initially. It dries out after being exposed to the heat source for 3-4 days. Once the humidity drops I check the level using a hydrometer. If you live in a drier climate, less holes will be needed to maintain proper moisture levels.

Old 05-22-2003, 04:10 PM   #16
AggieTiff
Thanks CAV...appreciate the input.

Old 05-23-2003, 01:52 AM   #17
Dwight Good
Another tip for making ventilation holes

For those of you that are having to make holes in LOTS of sweater/shoe boxes, multiple soldering irons work great. I purchased three inexpensive soldering irons at a local hardware store (for around $5-7 each, can't remember exactly) and then fabricated a wooden mount to hold all three of them together. It works like a charm.

I realize some people prefer to drill, but soldering irons do work well if you have an area with really good ventilation. I don't recommend using a soldering iron to melt holes indoors as the fumes are highly noxious.

Old 05-24-2003, 07:17 PM   #18
CAV
I attempted this, but wasn't happy with the quality control. Some of the holes were bigger than I felt confortable with. The smaller holes help me retain more moisture in the tubs.

I'm interested in what ventilation methods others use in their rack systems.

Old 05-25-2003, 06:23 AM   #19
dayne
the tubs

hey there.

i was just wondering what size containers (measurements) are u guys using for your adult and yearling corns.And how do u guys install the heat tape is it under the containers or wat.

thanks

Old 05-25-2003, 08:29 AM   #20
Khaman
I am using 27 quart {22 1/4" x 16" x 6" (LxWxH)}sterilities in mine. as for the heat tape it is attached to the back of the rack using aluminum foil tape.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google