CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Metal in a mouse...My Poor Festivus

Old 10-12-2008, 07:30 PM   #41
Jadie.Glitch
Poor thing!!! Sorry this happened to the poor little guy! Sending prayers your way ~_~.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:19 PM   #42
Caryl
Beth, I'm so glad he's improving! He's so fortunate to have you to care for him, and to have had a vet who knew his/her business with snake!

Old 10-13-2008, 09:11 AM   #43
El Jefe
This is an odd thing...never heard of it! Hope he does okay.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:26 AM   #44
Nanci
How's he doing this morning, Beth? I hope his swelling has gone down a lot more!

Old 10-13-2008, 11:35 AM   #45
starsevol
He still looks about the same, and is still acting like normal. I just hope he eats on Friday! He was on hoppers but I'm thinking of trying a pink so his throat won't have to stretch very much...

Old 10-13-2008, 11:44 AM   #46
Caryl
That sounds like a good idea. Not stretching a healing incision is bound to be a lot better than stretching it. Too much pain might put him off feeding in the future.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:06 PM   #47
Nanci
I think I'd be treating him with kid gloves for a year! It sure wouldn't hurt to feed multiple tiny things until you're positive he's completely healed.

But with people, when they've have GI surgery, it's routine to test the next day for a leak, and if there isn't one, they start eating. Even a big surgery like gastric bypass or when part of the esophagus is removed and the stomach pulled up to reconnect- they are eating for sure within a week.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:52 PM   #48
RobbiesCornField
Wow... I'm gonna go get a metal detector and wave it over all my mice... That's just scary!

Old 10-13-2008, 04:30 PM   #49
mike17l
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsevol View Post
He still looks about the same, and is still acting like normal. I just hope he eats on Friday! He was on hoppers but I'm thinking of trying a pink so his throat won't have to stretch very much...
Sucks, I cant even imagine how this happened. How a piece of wire/hardware cloth even got on or in a mouse and then lodged in a snake. That's crazy. I hope he does get better, he looks like a pretty cool snake. I would also go ahead and give him another week off of eating. Then give him something pretty small.
Just my $0.02

Old 10-13-2008, 05:19 PM   #50
starsevol
On Saturday the vet who did the surgery on him said he should be able to eat in 2-3 days, but I'm still waiting til Friday.
I have a huge magnet I'm keeping in the bathroom now, and I plan on passing it over every mouse from now on....

Nanci, the info about people eating so soon after surgery is very encouraging! I just hope he's not afraid of his food from now on.....he was an eating machine until this happened!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google