CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Metal in a mouse...My Poor Festivus

Old 10-14-2008, 03:37 PM   #61
Nanci
I'm so happy to hear that! Does he have to get his stitches removed, or do they dissolve?

Old 10-14-2008, 03:43 PM   #62
starsevol
I don't actually SEE any stitches...so I think they will dissolve.
He does have a follow-up appointment at 12:15 on Friday.
Then I will give him a pinky Friday night....

On Saturday I will either be a very happy person....or a basketcase again!

Old 10-14-2008, 07:41 PM   #63
Caryl
Surely if he's doing this well, he'll keep improving. Best of luck - all possible body parts to cross are crossed for you both!

Old 10-14-2008, 08:23 PM   #64
JustineNYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsevol View Post
I don't actually SEE any stitches...so I think they will dissolve.
He does have a follow-up appointment at 12:15 on Friday.
Then I will give him a pinky Friday night....

On Saturday I will either be a very happy person....or a basketcase again!
Im late to this, I just wanted to add I hope your little one makes a full recovery. Please dont blame yourself about the wire....who the hell wouldve noticed something so odd. Thank god you got him right to a vet! I wouldve passed out.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:34 PM   #65
measley
I've been following the progress, and I just wanted to tell you how glad I am to hear that he's doing better and better by the day. My thoughts are still with you and I hope that I only read good news on Friday.

He's very lucky to have you taking care of him.

-McKenna

Old 10-15-2008, 02:37 AM   #66
Rich in KY
It is good to hear that he is improving!

Old 10-17-2008, 10:06 AM   #67
Nanci
Anxiously awaiting vet report...

Old 10-17-2008, 01:35 PM   #68
jpccusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
Anxiously awaiting vet report...
Same here!

Old 10-17-2008, 02:13 PM   #69
starsevol
I just got back from the vet....
She looked at him and said he is looking alot better.
I asked her how much longer he needs to be on the antibiotics, and she said that she likes to see these guys on it for 3 weeks, especially since the wire was so old and rusty.
Then she asked me if I had fed him this week, and I said no. She said I should because "needs food to heal".
I said that I was afraid of the possibility of a regurge, and she said that he "could" regurge, and still be ok, but it was important to see if he could eat.
I asked her if the incisions in his neck would cause scar tissue that would prevent his throat from stretching to engulf prey. She said that parts of his throat may be affected, but he could always eat multiple smaller food items if that was the case.

So...driving home I got the bright idea to feed him a pink when we got back, and skip his meds until tomorrow night. When my hand got infected this spring (and it was BADLY infected) antibiotics took care of it fast. So I reasoned that missing a few doses should be ok, as long as he's digesting....
So I thawed a pink.
I left him in his kritter keeper travel cage, and took out the paper towel so it wouldn't stick to the pink. At one point he was nose to nose with the pink....but he didn't eat. My boy who has NEVER refused a meal.....I left the pink in with him and went to work. I'm terrified, even though the vet said not to worry if he doesn't eat. Just try him again in a few days. But until he eats, I don't know if he's going to make it. I'm in knots right now. I'm praying the pink is gone when I get home tonight....

I'm sick to my stomach that he suffered this at all.
I so much wish I could go back in time to when he was ok.....
He's a GOOD sweet boy, and he never deserved this.

He was also the foundation for 2 projects I was starting, plus the only male I have that is compatible with Carmen, my caramel motley.
I can't afford to replace him if I lose him....(as if that's even possible...)

Old 10-17-2008, 02:32 PM   #70
jpccusa
I'm so very sorry for your afflictions. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you to find Festivus with a big full stomach when you get home.
(((Beth)))

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google