CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Could my Snake be Dying???

Old 09-30-2009, 01:07 AM   #91
EmJagsz
I would second the space heater option. As long as the room the snakes are in isn't massive, then a space heater would work great! I was once in your situation, unable to provide heat for my snakes and was relying on the temps of my room, but last winter I got a space heater for my room and I all my snakes are eating, pooping, shedding and growing like they should. In the morning I turn it on and I leave it on all day with my door closed and temps get anywhere around 82-89F and then I turn it off at night where the temps stay around 70-80F. I don't use UTHs right now for two reasons: because last year I had a fire (and lost a baby corn) that may have been caused by it (still not 100% sure) and second, I tried trusting a UTH again and one day I witnessed it short on me, complete with sparks and smoke. I unplugged it right away and threw it out and I haven't used a UTH since. The space heater option is working great for me too!

Also, not only is the space heater a good alternative to provide heat for snakes, it will also come in handy on cold winter nights. Maybe you could talk to your parents about that?

Old 09-30-2009, 09:36 AM   #92
COerriccaRN
Quote:
Why did you start this thread? You were worried that there might be a problem. We suggested possible solutions for the problem. Then you proceeded to tell us there is no problem. I'm lost...
Cause glenhead already TOLD me there was no problem way earlier...I had my question answered about 8 pages ago.

Quote:
please dont rehome him if you dont know hes fine. if he keeps this up it is not a good idea to just rehome him to get rid of the problem and get the money to get heat for the others. i look down upon that more than anything. its like having a collection of boas with ibd and knowing this but selling them off anyways. we have a member here that has this possibility and is noble and is holding off her collection and not buying more until later down the road when its all dismissed. noble as a knight there. so please do not rehome until you correct the problem. then rehome.
Okay...well everyone else is telling me I SHOULD re-home him. How about this? I will do whatever I see fit later on. It's my snake.

Quote:
I would second the space heater option. As long as the room the snakes are in isn't massive, then a space heater would work great! I was once in your situation, unable to provide heat for my snakes and was relying on the temps of my room, but last winter I got a space heater for my room and I all my snakes are eating, pooping, shedding and growing like they should. In the morning I turn it on and I leave it on all day with my door closed and temps get anywhere around 82-89F and then I turn it off at night where the temps stay around 70-80F. I don't use UTHs right now for two reasons: because last year I had a fire (and lost a baby corn) that may have been caused by it (still not 100% sure) and second, I tried trusting a UTH again and one day I witnessed it short on me, complete with sparks and smoke. I unplugged it right away and threw it out and I haven't used a UTH since. The space heater option is working great for me too!

Also, not only is the space heater a good alternative to provide heat for snakes, it will also come in handy on cold winter nights. Maybe you could talk to your parents about that?
I already have one up in the attic I am pretty sure. Earlier in the post I *think* I said I was going to use it when it gets colder since right now the temperatures in my room are fine. So... all heating problems solved! Yay for space heaters! I love the one I have in my deer stand, it saves my life on those cold winter mornings.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:16 AM   #93
medusacoils
Hey Emily! I am not here to pick, but I do like the space heater idea. Some corn snakes can live without heat, but they will not thrive. It is essential for them to have it, to aid in digestion, healing, fighting illness, growing, etc. Having them in a situation that provides less then nominal conditions, isn't providing them. Could even effect the way they grow, by reducing their metabolism.

Try to get them warmed up. Last winter, I purchased a space heater for under $30 at walmart, that has a built in digital thermostat. I would set the desired temp and it would turn on and off as needed.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=12338798

Good Luck

Wayne

Old 09-30-2009, 10:52 AM   #94
danielle
Emily because Glenhead said your snake is fine does not mean your snake is fine seriously you should no better. The temps in your room are not in the 80's so no your temps aren't fine either. Again you get flamed because of your tone and inability to take advice. How about this: don't ask anymore questions because you don't listen to reason and even if you did you have no financial way to make the appropriate changes anyway.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:14 AM   #95
COerriccaRN
I already have a space heater so I don't have to buy one. We used it last winter in my little sister's room so it shouldn't create fires. We also bring it camping sometimes. We haven't had a malfunction yet. I'm not sure what mom would say about leaving it on while we are away. That kinda makes me nervous, but we will see how it works.

Thanks for the idea, thats what I was looking for. A way to give my snakes heat without having to spend a ton of money =) And a space heater will work just as well as a regular heater.

Danielle, I just measured my temperature in my room. It's 78.5 degrees. Thats not 80, but pretty dang close...

Quote:
How about this: don't ask anymore questions because you don't listen to reason and even if you did you have no financial way to make the appropriate changes anyway.
I have listened to reason. I am using a space heater to provide heat. I'm sorry that I don't have much money.... If I would have known they needed UTH's when buying the snakes, I would told my parents they needed them. In the book I read before buying the snakes, it said lamps would work fine. It had a whole section over lamps, but not UTH's. I made a mistake, but I am now fixing that mistake... What's wrong with that?

Old 09-30-2009, 11:35 AM   #96
LBoz
Emily, have you read the Care FAQ here? If not, here ya go.
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28341

Be very careful with a space heater. The last thing you want is to cook your snake, or worse, burn down your house.

Are you still co-habbing your snakes? That would worry me more than your temps being a little low.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:37 AM   #97
COerriccaRN
Quote:
Emily, have you read the Care FAQ here? If not, here ya go.
I have read it, thanks.

Quote:
Be very careful with a space heater. The last thing you want is to cook your snake, or worse, burn down your house.
Yes, I am going to test it and make sure it works. I will put it far enough away from my snakes so that it doesn't get to hot.

Quote:
Are you still co-habbing your snakes? That would worry me more than your temps being a little low.
Lets not open up a new can of worms =)

Old 09-30-2009, 11:55 AM   #98
whippet
Twice now you have mentioned a deer stand. Which means you have time to hunt....so why don't you have time for a job again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBoz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by COerriccaRN View Post
Lets not open up a new can of worms =)
So that would be a yes.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:19 PM   #99
COerriccaRN
Quote:
Twice now you have mentioned a deer stand. Which means you have time to hunt....so why don't you have time for a job again
Because I only hunt 3... maybe 4 times in a season.

Quote:
So that would be a yes.
Again with the worms... this is how arguments and flames get started.

Whippet, don't put words in my mouth and get everyone started on if I keep my snakes together. I never said I did or didn't.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:23 PM   #100
danielle
yeah but if you didn't you would just say so

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google