CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Effects Of Too Cold And Too Warm Temps?!

Old 01-11-2010, 05:04 AM   #1
DarkSmoke
Question Effects Of Too Cold And Too Warm Temps?!

I really would be gratefully if people could list me the:

Bad Effect of too warm temps (not exagarated , im talking like about 92 - 95F)

Bad Effects of too cold cool side ( again, not talking about -0, but about like 69 - 72F)

also i would very apriciate to know how it was Found/Proven or any links to research/Scientific reports.

Thanks Alot!

(P.S Im Talking about Cornsnakes of course, and sry if i posted to wrong section)

Old 01-11-2010, 06:37 AM   #2
Susan
While the rare corn snake may be able to tolerate a temperature of 90°F for a short period, anything much over that for even a short amount of time (an hour or less, depending upon the temperature), will kill a corn snake. The temperature range of 92-95° F is lethal.

While cooler temperatures are much better tolerated by corn snakes, you must be careful about them as well. Corn snakes are brumated at colder temperatures than what you listed (they are carefully prepared for brumation), but to maintain a corn snake at the range of 69-72°F will definitely cause digestive issues, mainly regurges, as the snake will not be able to digest it's food properly, as well as dramatically increase the likelihood of the snake developing a respiratory infection. Both conditions, if not immediately dealt with, can result in the ultimate death of the snake.

We really don't need to supply specific research data as most of us can provide personal experience with the consequences of temperature fluctuations beyond the normal tolerated limits. I have had snakes die due to heater malfunctions where the temperatures got too high, and am currently dealing with regurges because of temperatures being too cold. I am watching my inside snakes closely for respiratory issues and will not feed them again until it gets a little warmer.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:29 AM   #3
elipsis1
Susan, does that mean that handling your corn will kill it? I read elswhere on these forums that your skin temp is around 90 degrees? Yikes, I don't want to handle my snake then

Old 01-11-2010, 10:42 AM   #4
Teddy Roosevelt
Susan's talking about a constant temp, ambient and floor, in the tank with no escape, I believe. If not feel free to correct me. If it doesn't kill them it can still cause neurological damage. Handling is fine. Many owners with calm snakes will hold them in their hands and laps for an hour or more while doing something calm and quiet such as watching TV. Try to keep in mind that they are not only exposed to your hot hands while out of their tank, but also the cool air. I'm sure if handling corn snakes killed them, they wouldn't be the popular starter snake they are today, lol! So feel free to handle without worry if the snake is calm enough and not digesting or sick.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:49 AM   #5
elipsis1
Whew

glad to hear that! I guess you are right, the cold air along with the temp of skin wouldn't make for 90 degree constant encapsulating heat.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:50 AM   #6
queztacoatl
I've never understood why Corns can't withstand higher or cooler temps, they live in areas that frequently reach both extremes. Is it just that in the wild they are able to move far enough away from the heat source (sun) to hide in the shade that they will be fine?

Old 01-11-2010, 12:41 PM   #7
bitsy
Bear in mind that Corns aren't out in the very hot periods of the day. They're active at dawn/dusk/overnight when temps are lowest. The rest of the time they're hidden somewhere cooler.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:26 AM   #8
Amun
Quote:
Originally Posted by queztacoatl View Post
I've never understood why Corns can't withstand higher or cooler temps, they live in areas that frequently reach both extremes. Is it just that in the wild they are able to move far enough away from the heat source (sun) to hide in the shade that they will be fine?
Yep. Bingo. They self regulate. Which is why it's really ideal to give a temp gradient for them, and often very hard if you have a really tiny inclosure. Giving your snake a range of temps is good because we don't speak snake and can't tell what they really favour, just what we see and hear, which may not be all that accurate at times.

Sometimes they want to be a little cooler, other hotter. Giving them a gradient let's them decide for themselves what's best for them

Old 01-12-2010, 02:23 PM   #9
DarkSmoke
ok so if the snake has the warm area wich ranges from 85 - 95 and and the cool areawich ranges from 75 - 69 , wont they have enough tempretare range to thermoregulate, cause what i really asked is whats the bad effects of not having 100% accurate warm and cool areas. (btw i wasn't asking of handling but of when they are in the viv.)

Old 01-12-2010, 02:29 PM   #10
bitsy
The danger point is at the upper limit you quote. 90 should be seen as the safe maximum - 95 is too high and could be dangerous. If the snake can move away from that zone to a cooler one then in theory that's OK. It's just that in captivity, sometimes Corns don't seem to behave exactly as they would in the wild. For example, if a surface is hot enough to burn them, they won't move away from it but can remain in contact with it even if it causes them injury.

Obviously you won't get a burn at 95, but it's still possible that this sort of temp for any length of time can be harmful if the snake doesn't react as we expect i.e. move to a cooler spot. We need to protect them as much as possible, hence keeping the temps within their safe tolerance. That way, there's just no risk of them being harmed.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google