CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

wots the worst piece of reptile advice you've ever been given??

Old 01-19-2004, 01:27 PM   #1
CornDude
wots the worst piece of reptile advice you've ever been given??

just wanted to know, wots the worst peice of advice a shop keeper has given you, which you knew was wrong, or now know is wrong?

ive got 2... both from the same "expert" lol
"corns dont climb"
"royal pythons dont like heat mats"

Old 01-19-2004, 10:14 PM   #2
tyretosmom
The store where I bought my first corn gave me a 100 watt bulb for my 20 gal. tank. The warm side got upto 100 and was still on its way up when I turned it off! Dont know if that falls under advice but still very stupid! Good thing I had the manual or my snake would have been COOKED.

Old 01-20-2004, 05:22 AM   #3
h0mersimps0n
Pimple faced kid that runs the reptile section of a mall pet store:

Bring your Green Tree Python to me so I can sex him and "check him out" for parasites, "I'm fully certified to do that".

The temperature out was like in the 30's and I explained to him I had gotten my snake from a reputible, well-known and loved dealer. This was an absolutely insane suggestion since I had told him that the GTP was eating fine, was definitely a male and definitely didn't have anything wrong with him. The stress of bringing him in "just to be checked out" surely would've resulted in either loss of eating or death. All he really wanted to do was see a GTP which he had told me he hadn't seen before.

Old 01-20-2004, 06:53 AM   #4
Ice9
The worst piece of reptile advice I ever had was not to get any lol

Old 01-20-2004, 07:28 AM   #5
Amanda E
When I was looking into buying a leopard gecko, a BREEDER told me all he feeds his are wax worms, because "they are the most nutritious food for them." He then proceeded to argue with me when I said that wax worms are too fatty.

Needless to say, I didn't buy a gecko from him.

Old 01-20-2004, 10:32 AM   #6
Skye
"oh, they don't grow much bigger than that..."

Old 01-20-2004, 01:26 PM   #7
So Pirate55
"the size of the terrarium determines how much they grow."

Old 01-20-2004, 05:56 PM   #8
Steve H
I had run out of frozen pinks, so I went to the mall pet store to get a few until my order frozen mice came in. The guy asked me what they were for and I told him they were for a few baby corns.
He then told me that I should be feeding them crickets because they are more nutricious. Needless to say we had a nice little argument with him and I walked out and went to another pet store that was a little farther away.

Old 01-20-2004, 09:36 PM   #9
MegF.
Are you sure you picked out two LARGE fuzzies??? I asked for the third time since I called to have the petstore pick out a couple for me. Yes, I'm sure! the pet store girl said, nodding her little brain... I got home, opened the bag, and there were two of the littlest fuzzies ever seen! Next time, even if I'm running late, I'm checking the merchandise before I leave! My snake was mad she only got hors d'heuvres and not big macs!

Old 01-20-2004, 09:46 PM   #10
Osiris X
"Snakes have great vision" "Snakes cant tell the heat" And the sad thing is that dudes parents just bought him a red tail boa. I offered him $50 for it, he said "No, i know everything about snakes. He is going to live for a good 10 years" I swear, i was expecting him to say something like "10 human years is like 30 snake years"

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google