CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

wots the worst piece of reptile advice you've ever been given??

Old 01-21-2004, 01:29 AM   #11
carol
When I bought my second hatchling corn ever... the pet store told me it would be fine to house two corns together (even a male and a female) and that they would not breed unexpectedly because "male corns are infertile unless they hibernate". Needless to say, I lost that second corn to egg binding. Four good eggs did come out before the others got stuck and the female died. Those four eggs were the start of a crash course on PROPER husbandrythat landed me a passion and a few years later over 100 snakes. Gee just think, if I hadn't gotten that bad advice I may have never ended up spending hours a week feeding and cleaning after work.... Now due to the events following that advice I am hopelessly addicted, maybe I can sue???

Old 01-21-2004, 08:20 AM   #12
limey
The best bit of infomation i ever had was when i went to look at some baby corns. I went to look at what was supposed to be ghosts - oh dear lets just say botht the parents were amel and the offspring were meerly light in colouration (hence there "ghost" hertitage). I tried to explain about hypo, amel and anery, and why you cant get ghosts in amel form but they wouldnt listen - lets just say i left laughing

Old 01-21-2004, 03:46 PM   #13
blito
i`ve only ever sought advice here and so all the advice ive been given has been of the greatest quality!

Old 01-21-2004, 11:10 PM   #14
beardie
i was talking to a guy in the pet store and told him i needed a UVA and uvb light for my bearded and he told be all they need is a heat light and i can use a normal light bulb. walked out shaking my head at him, he just didnt get it.

Old 01-22-2004, 07:15 AM   #15
Rachel
Hmm a few:

'it's fine to keep multiple corns together'
'I feed my leos 25 mealworms every 3 days, why do you feed crickets? That's so unhealthy'
'Ball pythons DO eat crickets. Mine did so don't tell me they dont' to which I replied 'how is your Bp?' and they said 'Dead'
'You are a rodent killer! There are alternatives to feeding mice you know. Like fruit and veg'

I think that's about it although I have heard some very stupid things on a different forum where some people obviously don't know anything about reptiles!

Old 01-22-2004, 11:55 AM   #16
So Pirate55
Quote:
'You are a rodent killer! There are alternatives to feeding mice you know. Like fruit and veg'

that's hilarious that you've had someone say that b/c.....just last nite i had a girl tell me the exact same thing. She overheard a conversation i was having with a friend and butted in, "why do you raise mice?"

we were at a bar, so i had a few drinks and sorta laughed and said, "to feed my snakes"

Whoa buddy, she went off. At first, i tried to explain to her that there is a thing called a food chain, but then i got the "everything should be vegetarian speech". So then we went back to shooting pool and just ignored her. I just love some of the "educated" people that you meet in college.

Old 01-22-2004, 01:38 PM   #17
MegF.
Do you think there's enough sustenance to feed these veggie crazed individuals to the snakes???? Perhaps I should just let my snake explain her preference

Old 01-22-2004, 05:44 PM   #18
Cypher2004
when i was first concidering a repitilian pet, a guy told me (in an actual reptile shop in Leeds, UK) that cornsnakes were constricters and ate crickets...

now, i still haven't worked this one out and if anyone can shade some light, id love to know!

Old 01-22-2004, 06:02 PM   #19
paulh
Worst advice was given to a guy I once met. He came over to see a pal of mine and brought his noneating boa constrictor. My buddy asked him why there was some lettuce and soda crackers in the cage. That was what the pet store said it ate. It really shocked the guy when the snake chowed down on a weanling rat.

On the vegetarian thread, just tell them that you use the mice for plant food. Plants gotta eat too.

Old 01-22-2004, 06:48 PM   #20
Cypher2004
oh! another was cornsnakes eat their skins they shed like geckos!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google