CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Hypo truly is a four letter word

Old 08-10-2020, 02:36 PM   #1
Shiari
Hypo truly is a four letter word

Some history:

Years ago, I bred a very large anery to a ghost het for amel. I hatched out 19 eggs. All the babies were typical aneries. Nothing hypo looking at all. No snows. And I decided to keep back a single female to breed back to the father.

I expected to get all aneries from the daughter's clutch of 13 eggs. So imagine my surprise/dismay/aggravation when out popped 3 hypo looking babies. And they don't look like your typical ghosts, being much 'cooler' in color, rather than the warmer brown/grays I'm used to.

Photos of the two females as compared to some normal anery siblings.

So. What sort of hypo am I faced with? It doesn't look like lava. It's definitely not sunkissed. That leaves basically dilute, right?

Old 08-10-2020, 04:36 PM   #2
Rich Z
LOL!!!

Welcome to HYPO HELL!

Old 08-10-2020, 04:59 PM   #3
Shiari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
LOL!!!

Welcome to HYPO HELL!
Ugggggh. I tried so hard to just stick to hypo A, too! XD

When these things showed up my first thought was "Oh gods, Rich was RIGHT!"

Old 08-10-2020, 07:04 PM   #4
hypnoctopus
I was thinking maybe dilute if you're sure they're not regular hypo.

Old 08-10-2020, 08:44 PM   #5
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiari View Post

Before I retired I was producing animals expressing three, and maybe four of the quasi-known hypo genes. I know I had two strains in my Crimson line that I never was able to figure out. And I still had some more that were popping out that just the time involved to prove them out as being unique was more than I was willing or able to put into it. Just the time and effort involved for me to prove out the Cinder/Ashy line was pretty taxing of my resources.

I can remember bagging up some of the last of the bulk corns to go out during my last year of breeding. I had two clutches that came from my original Motley line, and darn if there weren't some obviously and unusually light colored corns among the normals, quite different from any other hypos I have seen. I thought "OH NO!!". And into the bulk bags they went to be shipped out. Of course, all those lines are dispersed to the four winds now. The guy who bought them all was never really interested in the records I kept, so they eventually went out in the trash.

But thinking about it, wouldn't it have been a real hoot to be selling animals that were het for four or more hypo genes, and let everyone else get hauled off to the booby hatch when their eggs began hatching?

Old 08-10-2020, 08:49 PM   #6
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiari View Post

Oh, BTW, "Type A" Hypo was tainted a LONG time ago. I was producing the Crimson Corns (Hypomelanistic Miami Phase) for quite a long time that I was positive only had the Type A in them. But time and time again, I would breed Crimson to Crimson and get all normal colored animals hatching out of those eggs. The kicker was that I grew up several pairs of those offspring thinking I would get a double combo hypo to hatch out, or maybe even two different looking hypo looking corns but that never did happen. Never had a clue as to what was going on there. And I sold a LOT of Crimson corns over the years.

Honestly I am glad I am out of it. Things were getting enormously complicated even then about what the heck I was hatching out.

Old 08-10-2020, 10:28 PM   #7
Shiari
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnoctopus View Post
I was thinking maybe dilute if you're sure they're not regular hypo.
Yeah, that seems to me to be the most likely answer unless, gods forbid, I have something brand new. Definitely not sunkissed, doesn't look ultra and ultra is unlikely too because the granddam was het for amel, definitely doesn't look like lava either.

If the ghost female builds follicles again next year, I'm going to pair her back to this male. If I get another 18 to 20 eggs with no hypo babies, I can be pretty certain hypo a and ultra are ruled out. Here's a pic of her babies with this male previously. I love that they are both dark-eyed and it thus passed to all their offspring.

Old 08-10-2020, 10:39 PM   #8
Shiari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Oh, BTW, "Type A" Hypo was tainted a LONG time ago. I was producing the Crimson Corns (Hypomelanistic Miami Phase) for quite a long time that I was positive only had the Type A in them. But time and time again, I would breed Crimson to Crimson and get all normal colored animals hatching out of those eggs.
Noooooooo

Well, "good news" for me is that so far most of my projects have been at least hypo-a compatible hypos if they are not all hypo a. My Bansidhe made all ghosts with the ghost granddam of these babies, and I know the hypo carried by my charcoal gal is compatible as well as her dad made hypo babies with that ghost.

Guess I'll have to see if I can find someone to borrow a dilute from in 3 or 4 years and if that pair produces normals I might just have to go cry in a corner forever.

Old 08-11-2020, 03:15 AM   #9
Rich Z
But just think how boring it would be if every egg hatching produced something predictable. I've always told people that egg hatching season was, for me, just like Christmas morning. Every day I would check on the new hatchings and time and time again would see something new that probably had never been seen by human eyes before. There are few things in life you can do where you can get that sort of experience. Cherish the bright side of what you are going through now. Most people have nothing close to what you get to look forward to when the eggs are hatching.

And yes, I do miss that part of it since retiring. Sure there were headaches and heartbreaks, but heck, it if was all pink roses and silver unicorns, everyone would be doing it.

Old 08-11-2020, 03:18 AM   #10
Shiari
Wise words, Rich. I was very sad to lose my pewter from the sunkissed charcoal that I will probably not attempt to breed again. It took so much out of her this year. I'm left with a single male offspring from that clutch now.

It would probably be exciting to actually have a new hypo type pop up....after the panic XD

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google