CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

My first year breeding

Old 05-22-2022, 06:11 PM   #121
inu009
And there it is, a shed cycle...let me get the lay box ready lol
Name:  IMG_4708.jpeg
Views: 73
Size:  93.5 KB

Old 05-22-2022, 08:39 PM   #122
inu009
I ended up using some perlite to fill up the lay box, along with what moss I had left over.

Old 05-23-2022, 10:15 AM   #123
DinosaurMorph
re: Kathy Love's "summer room temperature"

Yes, the “summer room” is included within the chapter “Incubating Eggs.” The image immediately brought to my mind is the way that I have kept, bred, brumated, Eastern Garters, RedBellies, Milks from northern climes here in the Eastern US at a northern latitude. It is very, very convenient to not have to rely upon any artificial heating, cooling, humidifying, lighting. When I read about the “summer room” in FL I envision a year-round room where Corns could be kept like that, with minimal intervention. So, yes you are correct in literal detail. I extrapolate beyond the mere incubating phase; my thinking is that if eggs, the most precarious stage in the life cycle, can be kept in a summer room then every other season/stage can as well.

Old 05-24-2022, 10:33 AM   #124
Caryl
No disagreement there. The snakes should be able to survive in a "summer room" whatever that means for their range. One must understand that the term doesn't mean simply unheated and uncooled; don't stick your snakes in a storage shed in the sun. I realize that all the thread's contributors know this. I spent years teaching lab based classes and am hyper-aware of goofy, dangerous mistakes!

Sent from my SM-A716U1 using Tapatalk

Old 05-25-2022, 05:44 PM   #125
inu009
Tomorrow, during my weekly check(the last weekly check before switching to daily), I've decided to switch the lid for a lid with a few holes. I've just been nervous about them running out of air, since they're so many eggs in there.

Old 05-25-2022, 08:11 PM   #126
Caryl
I always do that toward about the sixth week. My head tells me that there's plenty of oxygen in the nest box by my heart feels better with more ventilation.

Old 05-26-2022, 09:17 AM   #127
inu009
I know! And to think some Ball Python breeders use press and seal and never open the container during the entire incubation.

I switched the tops, just gotta keep an eye on humidity, don't want to mistake low humidity making the eggs dent for that "close to hatching" egg denting. This morning the eggs were plump as ever, and ALOT of movement in the eggs. (Which calms my "I've already suffocated the eggs" nerves lol)

I was thinking, I saw in a YouTube video that the lack of oxygen is what encourages the snakes to want to break out of their shell so I wonder if a lower oxygen environment would make then hatch faster. Not something I would want to test, but just a passing thought.

For Mama, she just shed, and remarkably took a meal with no hesitation. Which can mean two things, either she's not gravid (please) or she took the meal because she realized she needs the calories/energy. Either way I'm glad.

Old 05-27-2022, 08:22 PM   #128
inu009
Female showing interest in the laybox...here we go again...

Old 05-27-2022, 08:38 PM   #129
Caryl
Quote:
Originally Posted by inu009 View Post
Female showing interest in the laybox...here we go again...
I know the feeling. It's happening here, too. I expected it but I've got very mixed emotions!

Old 05-27-2022, 08:42 PM   #130
Caryl
Btw, @DinosaurMorph, I have been trying to reply to your PM. I'm not sure what's happening but I'm not sure that my messages have gone through. (I know this isn't the proper place but I'm not sure what else to try.)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google