CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

bad news

Old 01-23-2008, 01:33 AM   #1
mpharris1989
bad news

i planned to get my new corn this friday, but it looks as if i might have caught a cold. should i hold off a bit longer to get it once i'm healthy, or just go ahead and get it? I was just wondering since i'm not sure if snakes can catch human colds??

Old 01-23-2008, 01:38 AM   #2
SquamishSerpents
well, in the first month you have your corn, you really shouldn't be handling it at all anyways, except for feeding. so, i guess it would be okay if you got the snake, as you won't really be touching it.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:12 AM   #3
Plissken
You can go ahead and get the snake. You won't put it at risk in any way.

Also, a month is excessive in my opinion. I usually give a week or so of settle-in time.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:17 AM   #4
Mr.AJ
Um.. Its fairly safe to say you can't spread a human cold to your snake. Go ahead and get the little guy even if your ill, He may even cheer you up a bit.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:38 AM   #5
StaceyBaybee
Hehe. You cant spread a human cold to your snake.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:57 AM   #6
mpharris1989
well im glad to hear all that thanks guys

ps im feeling a lot better today

Old 01-23-2008, 11:04 AM   #7
Corny Noob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plissken View Post
You can go ahead and get the snake. You won't put it at risk in any way.

Also, a month is excessive in my opinion. I usually give a week or so of settle-in time.
Well yeah, but its not like you're going to be excessively handling a hatchling all the same.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:45 PM   #8
Susielea
Go for it!

I've had a nasty cold that I just can't shift for the last three weeks and in that time I've fed and handled my youngsters 4 times and my adults 3 times and they are all fine.

I do however wash my hands thoroughly with an antibacterial soap before and after handling whether I'm ill or not. I think this is just good practice!

Good luck with the new little one and don't forget to post pics in the photo gallery when you get it!

Best wishes and get well soon,

Old 01-23-2008, 09:40 PM   #9
mpharris1989
thanks, and ya i didn't really plan on holding it alot for the first few weeks anyway

Old 01-24-2008, 12:01 PM   #10
Plissken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corny Noob
Well yeah, but its not like you're going to be excessively handling a hatchling all the same.
Nope, not excessively, but the ammount they're handled after settling in is not the same thing as settle-in-time needed after bringing them home.

I handle hatchlings way more than adults to calm them, anyway.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google