CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

UPS and live delivery

Old 08-24-2004, 09:16 PM   #1
Rinpu
UPS and live delivery

I'm expecting two new hatchlings later this week, and naturally I'm concerned about them getting here alive. Both babies were rather pricey, and it doesn't help that they're being shipped by UPS, which has a long history of mangling and losing my packages.

My question is about the breeder's guarantee of live delivery--specifically, should I ask the delivery guy to wait around while I open the box, so he can verify it in case the babies didn't survive the trip? I've heard conflicting info about whether or not UPS knowingly ships snakes, so I'd hate to screw things up by letting them know that someone was breaking the rules. But otherwise I won't have any witnesses, as I'm going to be alone in the house the day the animals arrive.

Any thoughts?

Old 08-24-2004, 09:24 PM   #2
Darin
UPS won't guarantee live delivery. To the best of my knowledge there aren't any conditions under which they will knowingly ship live snakes. So I'm pretty sure that having the UPS guy wait while you open the package won't make a lick of difference for you. You might want to have a friend there though to verify that they are all doing ok incase you have to go back to the breeder with any problems. You could also get out the camera and document everything.

Old 08-24-2004, 09:43 PM   #3
Tim Madsen
Live guarantee is strictly between you and the seller. If you purchased the animal from a reputable breeder, you have very little to worry about. UPS will not knowingly ship live snakes (but they will look the other way). There was, at one time a group of people trying to work out shipping of live snakes with them but I don’t think anything became of it.

Old 08-26-2004, 10:30 AM   #4
Rinpu
Er, I meant the seller's live guarantee, I know shipping companies don't guarantee anything like that.

I guess I'll just hope for the best and trust the breeder in case anything goes wrong. Thanks for the advice!

Old 08-26-2004, 09:37 PM   #5
stephen
ups

dont even let ups know you are receiving snakes it may upset the breeder and you may loose your deal with him,as far as receiving them alive, ups is been very reliable shipper for me and have had no problems as of yet, if they are boxed right they can go through more than you would ever imagine

Old 08-27-2004, 11:16 AM   #6
Rinpu
Thumbs up Hooray!

Well, the babies arrived alive and well this morning, with the UPS guy none the wiser. I guess I'm just a chronic worrier...though my previous experience with UPS is a big factor here (don't ever have snakes shipped to you if you live in an apartment, that's all I gotta say).

How rare is it for snakes to die in transit, anyway? It seems like it would be such a traumatic experience, especially for a baby.

Old 08-27-2004, 02:03 PM   #7
CAV
Knock on wood

I sent and received dozens and dozens without a single fatality.

Old 09-29-2004, 04:43 PM   #8
Booger
How does UPS not find out that you're shipping live animals? Don't they have x-ray equipment or something?

Old 09-29-2004, 04:50 PM   #9
mbrown
yea and im supposed to get mine via fed-ex...is it the same?i mean do they NOT know? then on the other hand...doesnt there have to be an opening for them to breathe? and wont it say "live animals" on it?

Old 09-29-2004, 04:58 PM   #10
Quigs
No, there is plenty of oxygen in the box for an over night trip, holes are not needed.

No they don't x-ray them, to my knowlegde at least but since 9/11 they can and do open random packages or something that looks suspicious to them.

Also depending on the distance it has to travel, they don't really have time to check "next day" packages.

No, I have never recieved a box marked "live animals", "perishable" yes but that could be alot of other things besides snakes.

I have heard people marking boxes "LIVE Tropical Fish" in fact I think a few people on this forum do that?! Tropical fish are completely fine to ship. Although it's the lying part that could take ya down, in my opinion if they happened to check.

Pretty much it's from what I have gathered, it's a "don't ask, don't tell" kind of deal.

Quigs

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google