CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Halo Corn Snakes

Old 05-21-2018, 09:54 AM   #11
scmartin27
Update photos

Photos 1-3 are of the yearling Halo vs the Green Blotched.
Photo 4 is of my adult Halo female who just laid another 8 eggs (same number as last year).

Old 01-30-2020, 10:15 PM   #12
pitzMike
Any updates?

Old 02-04-2020, 10:10 AM   #13
scmartin27
Update... Sort of?

Here are some pics I got really quick with my phone the other day - Halo male, his sibling GreenBlotched female, and a regular "Run of the mill" white snow who I'll be breeding to the GreenBlotched to try and prove if this Halo yellow is actually an incomplete-dominant gene. I have one other female halo (mother of the Halo in pic 1 & the GB shown here), as well as a young male RedFactor Halo who I'll also be breeding - probably to each other (pics 4 & 5).

Old 02-04-2020, 07:40 PM   #14
SnakeCreations
Quote:
Originally Posted by scmartin27 View Post
Here are some pics I got really quick with my phone the other day - Halo male, his sibling GreenBlotched female, and a regular "Run of the mill" white snow who I'll be breeding to the GreenBlotched to try and prove if this Halo yellow is actually an incomplete-dominant gene. I have one other female halo (mother of the Halo in pic 1 & the GB shown here), as well as a young male RedFactor Halo who I'll also be breeding - probably to each other (pics 4 & 5).
These are lovely, Sarah!

-Tonya

Old 01-27-2021, 01:17 PM   #15
scmartin27
2020 Hatchlings Update

No photos in this update, BUT I hatched 11 snows from the Green Blotched x Normal snow pairing in 2020. All but ONE have been determined to be halo. The one that isn't determined yet has high frosting and little to no saddle borders, so it will be months, or maybe up to a couple years, before I know for sure if she's halo or not. I assume she is halo, but her haloing, or lack thereof, will be the deciding factor on whether Green Blotched is the homozygous form of this mutation, halo being the heterozygous form. I'm unsure if I want to repeat the GB x Standard breeding this year, or breed her with something else (another halo, or even something completely different).
I'm holding back a pair of known halos from this pairing, though, and Will eventually post photos of all of them.

Old 03-26-2021, 12:43 PM   #16
scmartin27
Post 2020 update

After looking over all 11 babies from my 2020 Green blotched snow x [regular] snow ALL babies display halo borders, with very clear areas of the saddles that are not going to yellow.

This confirms my suspicion that Green blotched is the Homozygous phenotype and Halo is the heterozygous phenotype. At least as far as I have interpreted the information we have so far.

I bred a Halo male to 2 non-halo females last season also (both amel types) and some of the amels from those breedings are beginning to show yellow flecks in the borders as well. But not all of them. So this also seems to be a sign pointing to it being a Co-Dominant mutation.

I say Co-Dominant instead of incomplete-dominant because of the way the colors are presented. The yellow is either all throughout the saddles & in the borders (green blotched) or only in the saddle borders (halo). This differs from mutations like pamletto, which is a hypomelanistic type in het form but a leucistic type in hom form. So to me this seems more similar to the co-dominant type of phenotypes than in incomplete dominant phenotypes.

If I remember biology class: co-dom with red & white flowers produced flowers with some red stripes and some white stripes; inc-dom with red & white flowers produced pink flowers. In this case: full yellow x no yellow produces areas of some yellow and areas without the yellow.

Anyone's thoughts on this are welcome! I am still going to be working with the gene. This season I am breeding Halo x Green blotched siblings and will hold back the babies a year or so to see how they develop. I will also be breeding the halo male to an okeetee who has wild caught ancestors not too far back (grandparents, i believe). Not as good as breeding to an actual wild caught, but I will take what I can get for testing.

Old 12-15-2021, 03:46 PM   #17
scmartin27
update on the 2020s

It has been over a year now since the 2020s have hatched, and I am now questioning my original belief of incomplete-dominance.

The female of the pair that I kept from 2020 is now showing the yellow very heavily in her saddles, with no discernible pink - Unlike the male who has a very stark contrast between his yellow borders and pink saddles.

I still believe it is dominant in some capacity. But it isn't as simple as "Breed a Green Blotched to a normal and get 100% Halo babies."

Here's an overview so far, after reviewing I am hoping someone can give their thoughts (keep in mind all of these are snows):
Halo x Normal = mix of Halos and Normals
Halo x Green Blotched = 100% either Halo or GB
Halo x Halo = Halos, GB, and normals
GB x Normal = Halos & GB [referencing the 2020 babies]
GB x GB = ?? (I have personally not done this breeding... hard to find a GB male...??)
Normal who produced Halos with a halo or GB x same = Normals. [i.e. not a recessive mutation]

I wonder if it's sex-linked somehow, perhaps Dominant in females but Incomplete-Dominant in males? I look forward to everyone's thoughts.

Old 12-15-2021, 05:24 PM   #18
Rich Z
Using digital definitions in an analog world has always been pretty messy.

Old 01-25-2022, 04:39 PM   #19
NiklasTyreso
Quote:
Originally Posted by scmartin27 View Post
It has been over a year now since the 2020s have hatched, and I am now questioning my original belief of incomplete-dominance.

The female of the pair that I kept from 2020 is now showing the yellow very heavily in her saddles, with no discernible pink - Unlike the male who has a very stark contrast between his yellow borders and pink saddles.

I still believe it is dominant in some capacity. But it isn't as simple as "Breed a Green Blotched to a normal and get 100% Halo babies."

Here's an overview so far, after reviewing I am hoping someone can give their thoughts (keep in mind all of these are snows):
Halo x Normal = mix of Halos and Normals
Halo x Green Blotched = 100% either Halo or GB
Halo x Halo = Halos, GB, and normals
GB x Normal = Halos & GB [referencing the 2020 babies]
GB x GB = ?? (I have personally not done this breeding... hard to find a GB male...??)
Normal who produced Halos with a halo or GB x same = Normals. [i.e. not a recessive mutation]

I wonder if it's sex-linked somehow, perhaps Dominant in females but Incomplete-Dominant in males? I look forward to everyone's thoughts.
Can some unorthodox model explain the results?

What if there are 3 or 4 genes involved in Halo and GB, and at least 3 need to be inherited into the hatchling to give Halo and/or GB?

What if hets in different locus, hets that are not dominant, still add influence on phenotype when several of them are bred into the same animal?

Old 06-05-2022, 12:37 PM   #20
scmartin27
Update... sort of!

So the female who I thought was possible a GB definitely is not. She's gotten bigger - almost breeding size now - and her colors seemed odd because her saddle color is so light. It's almost like Clear / colorless. But the yellow is definitely only in the borders. Photos to come eventually.

The reason I post this now is because 50 shades of corns and Somercorns have both come out and said they proved this to be incomplete dominant... I had it proven in 2020, I'm just bad at updating some information. This thread is proof though.

I am not trying to start Drama, I just want the record to be straight - I hatched my first Halo in 2011 and have been working with them since then. Steve and I named them, and I had a ton of evidence over years and years of breeding that pointed to incomplete dominant, even before the 2020 clutch 100% confirmed it.

The only reason I've been somewhat hesitant to BOLDLY say that it was definitely proven is because I wanted to be 50000% sure... The people who are saying they "proved" it have only done maybe 2-3 years of breeding trials, I've been at it for 12 as of this season.

Thanks for following on the journey, everyone in this thread!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google