CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Question regarding feeding

Old 04-22-2005, 01:53 AM   #1
eoj17
Question regarding feeding

As suggested by many, I'm going to feed my baby corn in a separate container. I've already bought a Sterilite container with a lid that locks on. Now, after Vicious eats, I'm going to want to get him into his viv again so he can lay in the heat and stay in his hide, the question is, how do I get him there? The container is just as wide and long as his viv, so the only way to get him back in his tank would be to dump him (which i do not want to do), or to put him in there manually. I know you're supposed to wait a certain amount of time before handling the snake after he eats to prevent regurgitation, so how long should I wait? Since picking him up and placing him in there is the only option. Thanks in advance, tomorrow is feeding day =)

Old 04-22-2005, 03:06 AM   #2
JTGoff69
The small amount of handling needed to transfer him from the feeding container back to his viv shouldn't cause him to regurge. It's how most people have to do it, you should be just fine.

Old 04-22-2005, 08:59 AM   #3
DdotSpot
I usually have a small enough container that I can place it in their viv and let them crawl out of it themselves.

If you are going to pick them up to move them back into their viv, make SURE you wash your hands after handling those mice...they can be snappy after eating.

Old 04-22-2005, 10:12 AM   #4
norbert03
i use the smallest...

available kritter keeper enclosure for feeding both of my corns, hatchling and yearling. after they eat i take the lid off and place the container back in the viv and allow them to exit on their own time. you can feed a baby corn in a deli cup, they don't need a lot of space to eat. i doubt picking your snake up to put him back would stress him to the point of regurgitation, but if you want to avoid even the slightest possiblities of that mess then i would go for a deli cup or keeper until he gets bigger, then go back to the sterilite container.

Old 04-22-2005, 11:29 AM   #5
cowboyman13
I slide slash dump them back in onto a soft landing of substrate or onto the highest part of a hide. I do it as gentle as possiable. After a couple of weeks i just kinda had to tip in that direction and they know its time to slither back in to the viv.

Old 04-22-2005, 11:33 AM   #6
norbert03
cowboyman...

how far are you dropping them and how does one "slash" a snake back into it's enclosure? enlighten me?

Old 04-22-2005, 11:42 AM   #7
cowboyman13
Bad grammer slide/dump. Hows that. Distance is about 2 inches. You can angle the container so the corner is in there near where there going.

Heres a explantation on how it works. You tip the container up and angle so snake SLIDES to bottom corner. Then you gentle DUMP him out into his viv. and which point he slithers back into his hide atop the UTH and digest his food. Please keep in mind you let him sit untill the bulge is down in his mid section. Not right after he has first eaten. It usally takes about an hour from me placing snake and mouse in tank before i practice the slide/dump manunaver.

Old 04-22-2005, 11:59 AM   #8
mbdorfer
I generally just pick them up and out them back in the viv, as I find they sometimes like to stay in the container! If you use the slide/dump manuever as cowboy man said, you can fashion a small hook from a coat hanger to help steer them out

Old 04-22-2005, 12:47 PM   #9
Achilles'_Mom
I put lots of folded paper towel in my feed tank and then about an hour after I have fed Samson or Achilles they are normally laying between two sheets digesting and I just pick up the sides of the Paper towel and lift them out and put them back in their tanks. I find this works for me they don't even have too move.

Old 04-22-2005, 12:54 PM   #10
eoj17
Awesome, thanks for all your help =) You guys are really great about answering questions, and I'm full of them. Vicious is my first snake, and pretty much the first pet I've had to take care of by myself, so I tend to worry a lot. I appreciate all the help you've provided me with =)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google