CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Nanci's SnickerSnakes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Nanci's SnickerSnakes Welcome to SnickerSnakes- where the pretty snakes are! I love striped cornsnakes in red, white, purple, peach and pink. Foundation stock, breeding plans, and hopefully hatchling news!

Care of the Breeding Female

Old 04-26-2015, 08:34 AM   #11
keagan8davis
Can they breed sooner than 10-12 days after their pre lay shed

Old 03-25-2019, 05:34 AM   #12
Rawren
First timer here! 😊

I have 2 females and 1 male - the male and 1 females agreed the same day so I immediately put them together. He was very interested but she wasn't having it. Every time he touched her she would whip away quickly. I supervised then for a couple hours and nothing. Then the next morning they were laying together in a pile.

Then my other girl after a couple days after I separated issue #1. Same thing.

What should I do now? Is breeding these guys not going to happen this season?

Thanks!!

Old 03-25-2019, 01:48 PM   #13
Nanci
What has worked every time for me is this: put the snakes together once a week, say Sunday evening. If they haven't mated, or at least looked VERY promising- like the female is cooperative, but the male just can't get it together- in 15-30 minutes, separate and try again in a week. If you have good breeding weather on an off day during the week- there's a nice thunderstorm for example- try that day, too. I do not put them together when the female is blue, but I do if the male is blue. I save her shed, and put it in the breeding bin, and then lightly mist everything. Then put the snakes in. If the females are running away, they just aren't ready yet.

Old 03-25-2019, 03:51 PM   #14
Rawren
Thanks Nanci. So if they're running away, just keep putting them together and hopefully they'll be ready at some point? As in, my breeding chances are not over this season?

Old 03-25-2019, 05:02 PM   #15
Nanci
You have months left! Don't stress yourself or them out by trying constantly. Once a week is enough. Using a bare bin to mate them in will give you visual evidence in the event you miss it. Also, there is a smell to the yellow goo that leaks out after they are done that once you smell it, you will never forget. Not a bad smell, just distinctive. The smell of success! Once the female says yes, then what I do is put them together every two or three days until she refuses, then try one more time at whatever interval you are doing. If the other female becomes receptive during the breeding period for the first female, I would probably do Female A, Female B, day off, Female A, Female B, day off, and so on until both females refuse twice. Other people might tell you a different sequence like mate every day, or let the male try with both females on the same day. (If you're still waiting for the female to agree, and the first one does not, it's okay to try the male with the second female on the same evening. I never let the male keep trying after 30 minutes- if the female hasn't agreed almost right away, chances are very, very slim that she is going to change her mind that day. But they may need a few minutes to work it out, if them male hasn't mated before.) You really only need one successful lock for her to impregnate. So if you only get one lock- it will most likely be enough. I know it's so easy to get anxious your first season. Wait till you have eggs- then you can experience real stress! :-)

Old 03-25-2019, 05:04 PM   #16
Nanci
Also, sometimes you'll see blood in the "evidence." Again, not common, but nothing to freak out about. The male will be good to go on the very next time. Even knowing that, that it's no big deal, it's still stressful for you. Just be prepared, knowing it's a thing that could happen. If you search on here, you can probably find some pics.

Old 03-29-2019, 10:42 AM   #17
Rawren
Hey Nanci!!
Just wanted to let you know that I'm seeing progress!! I did as you suggested. I waited about a week and tried putting my babies back together (thinking that maybe the girls weren't ready originally) - I also put in one of the females' sheds from after brumation and misted it and the empty cage. The girls did not run away this time!! Instead they were also twitchy. Both girls were interested in the male and twitching. He twitched as well. Did not have a lock this time but huge progress I think. Going to try in a few days again. Thank you so much for your advice and encouragement!

Old 05-22-2019, 09:57 PM   #18
mrgrtt123
I would like to see some of the photos regarding the breeding progress of your snake.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google