CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

cornsnake X yellow rat snake crosses

Old 09-21-2021, 02:50 PM   #11
rissahoo
Is this one of yours?

I brought home a lovely little guy yesterday that I am told might be a corn/yellow rat cross. He is a rescue and the pet store had just labeled him as a normal corn snake. I have named him “Terry” (short for terracotta) and he has both saddles and stripes. No head stamp or belly markings. He could be kastanie motley/striped, but both his color and his pattern are very even and regular the entire length of his body and both of those morphs seem to tend towards irregularity. If he’s a kastanie motley, he’s a darned fine one! On the other hand, if he’s a rat snake he sure is sweet-tempered! He came from a situation of severe neglect, and doesn’t seem to have any issues with handling that aren’t easily explained away by that.

Old 09-21-2021, 04:41 PM   #12
hypnoctopus
This thread is several years old and the original poster lived in Ohio, so I'm thinking it's pretty unlikely your snake came from them! But if you post a picture, maybe we can figure out what's going on with his morph or intergrade!

Old 09-21-2021, 07:55 PM   #13
rissahoo
Thanks! Two photos attached, let me know what else might be helpful.

Old 09-21-2021, 08:12 PM   #14
hypnoctopus
Very cool looking snake! I think there is no way that is a pure corn (if it even has any corn snake in it at all). I'm not super experienced with the different rat snakes, so I'm not sure exactly what it is. Hopefully someone with more rat snake knowledge can chime in!

Old 09-24-2021, 01:45 AM   #15
Shiari
To me, this looks like a baby everglades rat snake, which is a subspecies of the eastern rat snake (formerly black rat snake, they keep changing species and names on us every few years and it gets confusing)

Old 10-01-2021, 11:25 PM   #16
Frank Pinello
Yes....young Everglades rat snake. Use to catch them by the dozens down here in south Florida about 30 - 40 years ago.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google