CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > CS.com Guide to Corn Snake Cultivars & Cultigens
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

CS.com Guide to Corn Snake Cultivars & Cultigens A collective field guide to the cultivars and cultigens (morphs) of corn snakes.

Milk Snake Phase Corn Snake

Old 05-08-2018, 01:39 AM   #1
Rich Z

From my retired SerpenCo.com website.

Quote:

The name 'Milk Snake Phase' was applied to a corn snake that I hatched out in 1984 when I lived in Maryland. This particular snake had very clean, uniform blotching and a nice silver gray background and people whom saw it commented on the fact that it greatly resembled a Coastal Plain Milk Snake. Somehow this name stuck and next thing I knew people were asking for offspring from the 'Milk Snake Phase' corn. There appear to be two different color lines running in my blood lines. One tends to be extremely contrasty with brilliant red blotches on a silver gray background whereas the other end of the spectrum is a very low contrast animal with little or no black borders around the blotches and an almost brownish look to it. I have sometimes referred to these as my 'Copperhead Corns', but have never marketed them as such.

This cultivar originally camed from some Miami Phase stock I've been working with since the late 70s. I guess you could consider these as 'top of the line' Miami Phase, since that's what they really are. I have never really liked this name, but the name is one that has apparently stuck. My intention is to migrate the look of the Milk Snake Phase corn to one of a banded corn, through judicious use of selective breeding, which would more closely resemble a true Coastal Plain milk snake. One of the problems I am encountering is that my selective breeding results of the Miami Phase are beginning to look more and more like early examples of the Milk Snake Phase Corns. I guess that's because I really like the deep contrasty colors and look for that in the best Miami Phase corns. So don't be surprised if there is a blurring of the line between the Miami Phase and the Milk Snake Phase corns and sometimes only a judement call on my part will make the difference on what label I apply to them. Generally speaking, the ones that are labeled as Milk Snake Phase corns will be the cream of the crop, but it is quite possible for an exceptional Miami Phase and a so-so Milk Snake Phase to look very similar.

One of the means I am using to enhance the size of the blotches of the Milk Snake Phase is by breeding the Milk Snake Phase line into the Motley genetic stock. This will have a two-fold purpose. One is to produce Milk Snake Phase corns with saddles and bands, rather than the more typical blotches. Second, I would like to produce Motleys that are much more contrasty than what is typical in that line. Imagine, if you will, a Miami Phase Motley that would be red on silver gray, yet with the Motley pattern. I'm not quite there yet, but some of the results I've gotten have been encouraging. I may be selling off some of the culls of this project as 'Milk Snake x Motleys'.

The top of the line examples from these bloodlines always attract a lot of attention at the shows when put on display, and are fast sellers when I have them to offer for sale.

Old 05-03-2019, 12:14 AM   #2
Dennis Gulla
My favorite “morph.” I purchased two of your adult proven breeders back in 01 I believe. I bred them and held back a few the hatchlings. They turned out just as I had hoped. Unfortunately, I suffered an illness in 04 and everything had to go. That’s what I’m looking for again.

Old 05-03-2019, 09:45 AM   #3
Twolunger
Unfortunately there is a tendency to chase after the newer morphs, while some of the morphs of 10-15 years ago are fast disappearing. I hope you can locate some prospects to start the milk snake morph again. I'm sure it is a beautiful morph.

Old 05-03-2019, 05:21 PM   #4
Dennis Gulla
I may have to start with some Miami phase with broad saddles and selectively breed from there. Or if I can find a candycane with broad saddles and breed it back to The Miami phase. Something to think about. I love to incorporate this with Okeetee’s too!

Old 05-03-2019, 07:38 PM   #5
Twolunger
Nice candy canes are getting harder to find too. I started over trying to produce some nice ones, but it's a long term project. Keep an eye out for the SMR reverse Okeetee high white. I bought a male last year and he's closer to a candy cane than most candy canes I have seen for sale.

Old 05-03-2019, 08:16 PM   #6
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
Nice candy canes are getting harder to find too. I started over trying to produce some nice ones, but it's a long term project. Keep an eye out for the SMR reverse Okeetee high white. I bought a male last year and he's closer to a candy cane than most candy canes I have seen for sale.
Oh yeah, that Candy Cane project I had ran the longest time of any projects I ever did, and I was never really all that happy with the results. Problem was that the orange in the background just wasn't visible in the babies, so I had to wind up keeping a bunch of them for about a year before making the cut. It seems that any project that relied on selective breeding to try to reach a specific goal was always a whole lot more of a headache than any that just relied on straight genetics.

I think Carol was working on some very nice lines, particularly from what she was getting out of the Cinder (I still like the name "Ashy" better! ) line. You might want to look into what she is offering.

Old 05-03-2019, 10:02 PM   #7
Twolunger
I bought some really nice candy canes years back from Rich as a gift for my son. I raised them up to sub-adult and then gave them to him, plus some other nice ones, to bring some colorful morphs to his corn snake collection. They had nice clean backgrounds, but rather than breed candy canes, he bred them to anerys and other morphs that he had. I was disappointed, and he later sold the adults, but a gift is a gift, and he had other plans. I guess everyone has an idea of what they like and want to keep.

Old 05-03-2019, 11:38 PM   #8
Dennis Gulla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post

I think Carol was working on some very nice lines, particularly from what she was getting out of the Cinder (I still like the name "Ashy" better! ) line. You might want to look into what she is offering.
Carol Huddleston? If so, I sent her a friend request on Facebook.

Old 08-16-2021, 11:22 PM   #9
Emy Jackson
he Eastern Milksnake has a tan or gray ground color and ... 1) Blotched phase: dorsum brown to gray, variously peppered in black.Snake Information. Milk Snake. Cool Snakes. All About Snakes. Reptiles And Amphibians. Snake Skin. Pets. Nature. The corn snake (Pantherophis guttatus) is a North American species of rat snake that subdues its small prey by constriction.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
milk snake phase corn