CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Hypo truly is a four letter word

Old 08-11-2020, 08:45 PM   #11
Rich Z
It all works out. Just a word of caution if you want to be selling any offspring: Print out a lot of labels that just have question marks on them for a genetic description. Honestly, I think a lot of people are selling animals that are a whole lot more questionable as to the true genetics than they realize. Take any one of the hypo genes and then throw some of the anerythristic cultivars into the mix and you have a real mess then.

But some things just can't be taken all that seriously when you are dealing with Mother Nature. Especially when you try to shove an analog world into digital cubbyholes for identification purposes. Most of what science "knows" is really mostly all theory anyway. So just enjoy the ride and don't be embarrassed to admit that you just don't know something. I worked with this stuff for 30 years and I didn't have a clue about a LOT of what I was doing. But it kept me off of the streets and out of trouble, so I can't complain.

Old 08-11-2020, 08:51 PM   #12
Shiari
Definitely. I was planning on labeling the normal looking aneries something like anery 50% poss het hypo a, and possibly second hypo type (testing needed).

Old 04-17-2021, 03:25 PM   #13
Shiari
So, a bit more research into my breeding records and I actually bred Eugene to that ghost two years in a row, totaling 38 offspring. No hypo-types.

I sadly lost Mystery a couple months ago, but still have Myst, the male. And he looks NOTHING like a dilute. He's going through a dark phase similar to my hypo a babies, but his belly checkers are gray and his sheds have absolutely no melanin present.

Myst and Teherun (dilute anery motley, male)

Myst and Ivomun (ghost, male and his uncle)

Myst and Too Stupid To Live, Too (anery clutchmate, male, tease-feeder)

ugh. Looks like I need to find a homozygous hypo female to breed Eugene to in order to do a true, final, rule out of hypo A.

Old 04-17-2021, 11:58 PM   #14
hypnoctopus
Yeah, he's definitely different than all of the others. (Also, I love that dilute anery motley!) It'll be interesting to see what comes out of a hypo pairing with him.

Old 07-19-2021, 05:09 PM   #15
Shiari
-_-

Old 08-20-2021, 08:22 PM   #16
Caryl
Myst is a very handsome fellow, despite (or because of?) the uncertainty about what, exactly, is going on there with his genetics. And since he's in your collection rather than mine, I can vicariously enjoy following along as you sport it out. Because I'm sure you will.

Old 09-14-2021, 08:00 PM   #17
Maevenish
Beautiful snakes regardless. I feel for you in your stress in determining the genetics and how they turn out. But your sneks are beautiful!

Old 09-30-2021, 05:14 PM   #18
Shiari
I hatched out only two more mysteries this year, a male and female. Based on how Myst is maturing, I'm 99% certain this is dilute. He shed last week and he still has that 'faded' look of an animal going into blue.

Just a couple pics of Myst, his little brother, and them together showing how much the color has changed.

Old 09-30-2021, 05:45 PM   #19
hypnoctopus
Do you think only dilute is at play? (Other than anery, obviously.) I feel like he has more pink than what I feel like I've seen with dilutes.

Old 09-30-2021, 08:43 PM   #20
Shiari
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnoctopus View Post
Do you think only dilute is at play? (Other than anery, obviously.) I feel like he has more pink than what I feel like I've seen with dilutes.
The parents and grandmother don't show unusual coloring, and all the other hypo-types are ruled out so... I guess so? Like, he doesn't quite match. But I have a dilute anery motley to try pairing the dam next year which will give me answers on this front.

If I get nothing but normal aneries I might cry.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google