CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Kingsnake ID

Old 08-26-2020, 09:42 AM   #1
waldo
Kingsnake ID

I looking at acquiring this king. I believe its a florida but his markings are odd. Can anyone shed some light on the morph?

Old 08-26-2020, 11:48 AM   #2
Paleosmith
The irregularity of the markings looks more like a L.g. goini (i.e., Goins Kingsnake) than a L.g. floridana to me... but some will argue that the validity of these subspecies is not supported. Good looking snake no matter what

Old 08-26-2020, 12:23 PM   #3
Rich Z
Yeah, I used to work with goini, and that animal certainly looks like a prime example of a blotched kingsnake to me. I actually live not far from prime hunting area for this variant of the king snake.

Old 08-26-2020, 12:49 PM   #4
waldo
Awesome, thanks guys. I'm going to get him in a couple hours.

Old 08-26-2020, 01:42 PM   #5
waldo
Since some of you are more versed in kings, what is your opinion on switching a 5 yr old from live to f/t?
My local pet store doesn't carry live mice and I really don't like the idea of a 60 mile round trip to petco.

Old 08-26-2020, 08:57 PM   #6
Rich Z
It has been my experience that once you get a king feeding, it's pretty difficult to make them stop. I never had a problem with either live of frozen/thawed. Even with live, the rodents were always killed before offering them to the snakes anyway. Heck for that matter, with most of the goini you didn't dare have the scent of a mouse on your hand or they would happily grab that too. Sometimes they didn't even need the scent.

You should ask Connie about "Gongoli". She was scared to death of that snake, because it would literally leap out of it's cage at feeding time.

Old 08-26-2020, 10:06 PM   #7
SnakeCreations
Hahaha! Great visual Rich! I have a hognose that does just that. Sometimes, so fast that I have to back out of the snake room because it's moving so fast at me. But only when I'm barefoot. My family thinks its the funniest thing they've ever seen.

Old 08-26-2020, 11:13 PM   #8
waldo
I fed him after getting him settled into his redecorated house. I don't know how he ever took live, he missed the mouse a number of times, i finally had to kill it for him.

He does have a really cloudy eye, it could be interfering with his sight. I can't tell if its a retained eye cap or a cataract/injury.
His face does seem really dry, hoping he will take a nice long soak soon.

Old 08-27-2020, 12:26 PM   #9
Rich Z
I strongly suggest that you don't feed any snake a live adult mouse. Mice do bite and they can severely injure a snake if the mouse gets grabbed less than perfectly.

Old 08-27-2020, 12:32 PM   #10
waldo
I won't again. It will either be f/t or prekilled. I did stand right there with my tongs and watched, just in case I had to intervene.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google