CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Heating/Temperature question

Old 08-13-2021, 07:04 AM   #1
Nyrkorey
Heating/Temperature question

I'm getting my little guy Tuesday and getting his 75 gallon tank all ready.

I have a heat mat with a temp controller set to 85 under his hot side hide, my qiestion is concerning ambient temperature.

I'm going to be running a ceramic heater and a UVB bulb for him. UVB just for the health benefits for him and to have a day/night cycle but the ceramic I also have on a temp controller set to around 85-86.. my question comes , do I keep the temp. 85-86 around that temp at night too? Or should I put it on a timer like my UVB bulb is. He is set up in my basement, which is a finished basement. And the temp drops to about 67 degrees ambient, when there is no heat source to it, is that to cold for him at night? Or should I keep that ceramic heater on throuoght the night set to 85??

Also the cold side of the tank gets to about 67 degrees also, and I feel that may be a little to chilly , or is that ok?

Old 08-13-2021, 08:38 AM   #2
hypnoctopus
Yes, keep the heat on overnight and the light off. And your cool side sounds fine.

Old 08-13-2021, 06:52 PM   #3
Nyrkorey
Okay awesome, 1.more question!

So how much substrate do you guys have over your heat mat? I have it mounted underneath my tank, and had about 2 inches of aspen over it and I have the heat mat set too 98 degrees and it won't create enough heat to even make it through the aspen? .. if I have a really thin layer underneath his hide then the temp climbs, but its a thin layer ... is that ok? Idk how to get that temp up with 2 inches on top if it!?

Side note: I do not have the ceramic heater on yet over top of the hot side so maybe when I turn that on too that will help it become hotter under there?

Old 08-13-2021, 08:27 PM   #4
hypnoctopus
You only need to make sure it's around 87 on the surface of the glass. He can burrow down to the warmth as much as he needs. Personally, I thin the aspen out directly over the heat mat in a little spot so I know for sure that the snake can figure out where the heat is.

Old 08-13-2021, 09:48 PM   #5
Nyrkorey
You have been my savior with all of this so far thank you so so much!! I just wanna make sure everything is perfect when he arrives Tuesday!

Old 08-13-2021, 10:39 PM   #6
hypnoctopus
You're so welcome! I'm always happy to help. Definitely post some pictures when he arrives!

Old 08-26-2021, 07:24 PM   #7
Nyrkorey
I have a little question! My baby is doing great! I have a real big piece of drift wood in his 75 gallon which has branches all coming off it it which he likes to climb! My only issue is the big driftwood has a hole in it where I found out he loves to sit basically inside the driftwood and , I feed him outside the tank and its been a pain lately trying to time it where he is out of his little hole inside the driftwood. Is this something maybe I should patch up, but I also don't wanna take his favorite spot away

Old 08-26-2021, 08:14 PM   #8
hypnoctopus
Yeah, I would fill that hole in. Not only is it annoying to try to get them out of that space, but as he grows, he may get stuck. You can use either some hot glue or some clay or air dry clay to fill in the space. Does he have other small, tight hides to choose from? They love cramped, dark spaces.

Old 08-26-2021, 08:15 PM   #9
Nyrkorey
Yeah he has 3 hides , one of the hot one in the middle and one on the cool side. Along with a bunch of Vines and moss covering everything

Old 08-26-2021, 08:20 PM   #10
hypnoctopus
Okay sounds perfect. He'll end up finding a new favorite spot if you fill in the hole.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google