CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Shed with strange mucus

Old 03-12-2003, 02:37 AM   #1
VegasGhost
Question Shed with strange mucus

Okay, I just aquired a three year old female ghost corn snake last week (3/3/03) from another co-worker who could no longer take care of her because of conflicting vegan beliefs. I only live about ten minutes from her previous owner so the drive was an uneventful one, she settled in quickly and ate a fuzzie on 3/4/03. She has since pooed in her vivarium, on the carpet (so funny), once during a bath, and again in her water dish. She shed tonight (3/11/03) at 10:30pm PST, her previous owner indicated that she usually shed around 4:00am PST. Well I have already read the corn snake manual from front to back and constantly go back to read sections. Here's my major issue, the temperatures have been checked and rechecked over and over again to keep at 75 on the cold side and around 85 on the warm side, the humidity usually hovers between 60 and 70. Her previous owner indicated, and consistent with the manual, that she does one complete shed....well, the majority tonight was complete but there were bits and pieces here and there. I checked her out and she doesn't seem to have anything left that needs to shed, but I can't find one of her eye caps, it doesn't visibly look like there was still one to shed and neither of them feel like they didn't shed, also there was a mucus looking thing in the viv that wasn't there before the shed. It smelled funny, but looked like a mini human lougy. She doesn't have any signs of an obvious respitory problem or illness, but I have no idea what the mucus thing is. If anybody could give me some insight on the eyecap thing and that nasty mucus stuff that would be great, totally new to owning a snake so all I have is what I can find on the net and in the manual. Thanks for any help! -Nicole

Old 08-12-2004, 04:17 PM   #2
krista2121
Well i have never heard of something like that before.. i will look it up and search around to see if i can find something about that. Maybey if you talk to the previos owner about it and see if that has happen when she owned him. Or maybey she knows something about it. i will try to post with some info soon!

Old 08-12-2004, 05:26 PM   #3
VegasGhost
Unhappy Wow...this is an old post

Never expected to get an answer to such an old post. Nevertheless, this snake died last March from an unknown systemic infection. All appropriate measures were take to get him healthy, multiple vet office visits, meds (shots in office and at home), his living conditions were always clean; but he also had an unknown lump that was going to be looked at after he was a little better...but that never happened, he passed away. I really don't know if the breeder knew anything about the mucus problem that never happened again or anything about the lump, even the systemic infection of unknown orgin...it is a very reputable breeder, I will not name names. Sometimes bad things happen for no reason, this last stage of events happened right when I was going to start breeding it to the only female I have of breeding size. So, in not wanting to get her sick, the breeding never happened but she still layed 13 slugs anyway...that was a bummer, I was hoping that wasn't gonna happen but does sometimes.

Old 08-12-2004, 05:33 PM   #4
krista2121
Wow im so sry bout that. Thats weird that its that old because it was one of the top threads on the list of new posts! But again im really sorry

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google