CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Bad/Incomplete Shed: What To Do

Old 07-08-2013, 05:39 AM   #141
Nanci
If you completely saturate the ground, it can mold. Aspen is very quick to mold (in Florida, at least) under a spilled water bowl, for example.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:56 AM   #142
MelRoxUrSox
My little corn just had an aweful shed and I think it was because of something going with his head scales. Before he was even going into shed I noticed that the skin on the top of his head was flakey. But I figured it would be resolved by his next shed. Once he had his incomplete shed, I followed the advice on this thread and put him in a container with water and a washcloth. The tip of the tail came off easily in the water, and the eyes came off with the initial shed.
However, he didnt seem to want to get his head in the water, so the skin on the top of his head and a bit on the top of his neck is still unshed.
Do you guys have any idea how I can get this skin off?
His previous shed was perfect so I am not really sure what happened this time.
Also sorry for an spelling or grammar mistakes, its hard to make sure everything is correct when using my phone.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:57 AM   #143
Nanci
You could try putting him in a damp towel/wash cloth and having him squirm through it, so it would have to touch his head. I'd also make him a humid hide with moss and see if he will use it.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #144
jwag
You guys probably think I'm crazy with all my questions and I don't even have a snake yet, but...
When you use a humid hide, you put it in the warm side of the viv, right, so that the heat and water would make it nice and humid?

Old 07-18-2013, 02:42 PM   #145
Alicia P
Nope I put humid hides in the middle or the cool side. Heat and moisture invite mold to form more quickly.

And questions asked before you get your snake are preferred around here

Old 07-18-2013, 02:52 PM   #146
jwag
Thanks Alicia! Glad I asked. The mold growth makes sense with warm moisture. I guess I just didn't think it all the way through. Thanks again!

Old 07-18-2013, 04:45 PM   #147
MelRoxUrSox
I put the little guy in a damp pillow case and I can see his head rubbing against the material so hopefully that will help. Is it normal for the top of the head to be a tough spot to shed?

Old 07-28-2013, 03:49 PM   #148
lynda
My adult corn (fairly new to me) seldom sheds the skin all in one piece. It comes all the way off, but in pieces varying in size. Is this okay?

Old 10-03-2013, 12:28 AM   #149
Spencer
I had a bad shed yesterday. 1 big piece, a few small pieces and I don't know which part is the head. His tail is still stuck on too. Maybe from overhandling?

Old 10-03-2013, 01:59 AM   #150
Phil1ooo
My snake has shed now about 7 or 8 times since I've had him, he's just on 2 metres long. He does always have a 40lt water pool available to him 24/7. Now I'm no expect on snakes and can only go by what I have read and seen my snake do. But all his sheds have been perfect mostly all coming off in one piece (my kids love to keep those ones) but I have noticed that the broken ones are broken due to him sliding around objects in his tank which I presume the skin gets caught on. But (and I've never taught him this) LOL but I have noticed that he soaks himself for about 10 to 15 minutes by swimming in his pool before shedding and that it's always at night time when it's colder that he sheds.

In my personal opinion the weather (heat) around them may have a part to play in how they shed. think about it for a sec, the skin is not much different to a very extremely thin sheet of (lets say) some sort of film, If you expose a film to heat it gets soft and tacky (which is why it may stay stuck on the snakes body) and hard to work with but if you keep it cold it's stay firm and is easy to handle which would make the snakes skin none tacky allowing the moisture to separate the skin from the body much easier.
This may be a way off description of explaining it but I'm sure you can get the picture.

Try (only a suggestion of cause) when you know your snakes going to shed keeping him in a cold area or for lack of a better way of explaining it, turn off all heat sources in the viv. Only a thought.

You may say I'm talking out of my whatever here, but I'm the type of person to observe, look and remember things like weather, surrounding elements, individual circumstances etc for everything from live animals and pretty much everything and every element of every aspect of everything plays a part in how long it lasts, stays usable, fades etc etc. That's just me I suppose and probably due to my line of work but anyway it's a thought and only a personal observation which may help your cause.

Cheers

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
shedding problem