CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Intro and question, can the shed cycle stop?

Old 05-14-2003, 09:36 AM   #1
BoidKeeper
Question Intro and question, can the shed cycle stop?

Hi Everyone,

I joined the site a while back but I can't remember if I've ever actually introduced my self or not. My name is Trevor and I've been keeping herps on and off for about 15 years. I'm a schoolteacher from Northern New Brunswick Canada and like most people my first snake was a corn. Up until recently my corn had been living in my classroom. Along with Corns I keep a few different types of smaller Boas and Ball Pythons. This year however I have really expended the Corn collection. Right now I'm working with a normal male, female anery, male snow, normal female het for anery and lavender, 1.3 okeetees, and a female amel. This year my anery was bred to a lavender het for anery. Next year she we be paired with a hypo motley.

Now for my question, can a corn stop their shed cycle?
My anery laid her clutch on May 4th. She had better weight after laying then she did after coming out of brumation so I decided for a double clutch with my snow. She ate her first meal on May 6th then I introduced her to the snow on May 7th at dusk. I took her out the next morning before leaving for work. When I got home I check on her and she had started to turn blue. It's easy to see in anery and amels the whole snake turns blue. I fed her and re-introduced her to the snow again. I left her in there for one more night then I took her out again. I left her in her cage and fed her again on May 12th. She did not want to take the food so I placed her in a smaller Rubbermaid over night with the food and a rock in case she wanted to shed. On the morning of the 13th shed ate, defecated but still no shed. I cleaned her and re-introduced her to the snow. I've not witnessed any copulation so I'm not sure what is happening. He courted her like mad on the 7th but now nothing. I plan was to separated them and wait for her to shed and re-introduce hopping that she would smell nice and that this shed would not close the season for me but now she appears to be holding off on that shed altogether.
Any and all feedback is appreciated.
Thanks,
Trevor

Old 05-14-2003, 09:44 AM   #2
CornCrazy
You re-introduced her to the male before she even had her post-laying shed? I've always heard that you aren't supposed to re-introduce them for several weeks because it can kill her. It's obvious that you are a man, because you sure don't know how hard having babies/laying eggs can be on a female. I hope you don't end up regretting your decision to rush a double clutch. Getting a double clutch isn't worth putting your snake's life at risk!

As for your question, I am not sure if a shed cycle can be stopped or not.

Old 05-14-2003, 10:19 AM   #3
BoidKeeper
Quote:
Getting a double clutch isn't worth putting your snake's life at risk!
You've got that right! She is out of there until I do more checking. Throught out the Corn Snake Manual everytime it talks about double clutching it never menthions anything about waiting until after the post-egg laying shed. As a matter of fact I keep hearing that the post egg-laying shed is the shed that closes the season. Therefore I assumed that if you were going to try and get a second clutch you had to do it before that shed.
Well regadless thanks for the heads up.
Trevor

Old 05-14-2003, 10:58 AM   #4
CornCrazy
You're welcome. I was hoping that you would understand that I wasn't trying to be rude or anything. I just wanted you to know the risk you were taking. I don't have many adult female corns, yet. I have only bred a couple of my snakes (last year and this year), and only one of them double clutched last year. She didn't lay her second clutch until about 6 weeks after she laid her first clutch. The second clutch was infertile because I didn't know she was going to double clutch and I never put a male back in with her. Apparently, she is one who doesn't retain sperm to fertilize a second clutch...or there wasn't enough to retain. This year, I have put a male back with her to see what happens.

Good luck and I hope everything works out.

Old 05-15-2003, 01:50 PM   #5
BoidKeeper
Well I seperated her and then she shed this morning. I re-introduced her but there has been no action yet. I added another male to the cage and that did seem to get my snow motivated but as soon as I took out the other male the snow relaxed again. It tried this two more time and on the third time all the snow wanted to do was leave. They are now alone with a black sheet cover 95% of the cage to give them some privacy. Oh well I guess only time will tell.
Thanks,
Trevor

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google