Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Egg Stem: What To Do (Update Post-Shed)
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 08:37 AM   #1
Egg Stem: What To Do (Update Post-Shed)

The first time I was presented with this issue in a hatchling, it was very disturbing. After consulting with several experienced breeders I concluded that left alone, the egg stem would shrivel and fall off with the first shed, if not before. And that was true. Some people advise keeping it very damp, others advise a dry environment to encourage the cord to dry out. I have settled on slightly damp but not wet.

Last season I had more hatchlings and more egg stems. All resolved quickly without issue except one big one. I'll show pics of that at the end. In treating it, though, I was advised to snip it off. This made me nervous- I didn't want to have it start bleeding, so I let it dry a bit first.

Out of 34 hatchlings so far this year, I have been fortunate to have only one with an egg stem.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:39 AM   #2
In the past years, this would have made me very nervous. Last night, I put the baby to bed in her slightly damp bin with a nest of damp moss if she chose to use it. Less than 12 hours later the cord looks like this:
Old 06-03-2012, 08:40 AM   #3
And I snipped it off with a clean sharp scissors, close to the body, to prevent pulling. (Cell phone pics- not the best quality while trying to hold a baby!!) I'll be surprised if that little bit even makes it to the shed! It will definitely shed off.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:50 AM   #4
This was the one that worried me last year. You can see the amount protruding through the abdomen is larger than what we typically see. I let it dry a couple days and then snipped it off about a quarter inch from the belly. After the shed, there was a small defect in the abdomen and the stem was gone. After the next shed, the defect was completely closed and undetectable. I'd really prefer they not do this, though!!

Anyway, I hope this thread reassures a nervous mom/dad in the future. I had the opportunity to document how I handle this, so I took advantage of it.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #5
Good info the have, Nanci. I've never had to cut, preferring always to wait it out. But it's nice to know that it's a safe practice IF I have no choice but to cut.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #6
I'm sure that first baby pictured would have been perfectly fine without trimming it, but why take the chance of it pulling? So since I was comfortable with doing so after that one last year, I decided to go ahead and make the baby more comfortable.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #7
Great Thread! I had two this year and they both fell off by day 3.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:04 AM   #8
Great thread Nanci!
Old 06-03-2012, 11:46 AM   #9
I didn't clip last year and had 2 babies that ended up with "belly buttons."

Old 06-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #10
Great info Nanci!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:15 PM.

Fauna Top Sites

Powered by vBulletin® Version
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Page generated in 0.03565311 seconds with 10 queries
Copyright Rich Zuchowski/SerpenCo