CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Virgin Corn Laid Fertile Eggs!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-02-2004, 07:16 AM   #1
Tearak
Question Virgin Corn Laid Fertile Eggs!

I have a ghost corn female that I kept seperate as she was not eating very well and regurgitated a lot. As a result she took rather long to grow. In breeding season I noticed that she looked gravid but didn't worry too much as I knew she had never been with other snakes, let alone a male - since she was a hatchling. However, she went on to lay 8 fertile eggs that all hatched! The babies were all perfect but all were strange and unusual colours (beautiful colouring). None of them were ghost corns though. Has anybody else experienced anything like this? Furthermore, she was only 18 months when she laid and I would never have paired her up anyway. We've had a couple of young snakes lay infertile eggs without having been mated, but to have a virgin snake have 8 fertile eggs - that is wierd? I'd be very grateful for any ideas?

Many thanks,
Chantel (SOUTH AFRICA)