CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Okeetee breeding

Old 11-10-2010, 08:52 AM   #1
SHAKSNAKE
Okeetee breeding

i have an okeetee male, i wanted to get a female snake but of another morph, i wanted to experiment. but not sure what morph would go right with an okeetee. i don't want anything typical. what do you guys think?

Old 11-10-2010, 08:59 AM   #2
Hallie
Unless your Okeetee has some hets, you're going to get normals with whatever you breed him to. If you're really interested in breeding something 'not typical', you should start with two snakes that have the genes you're interested in.

Example: I like charcoals and lavenders. I also like pattern modifiers such as stripe, motley, and bloodred. So, I'm working on charcoal mots and stripes, hypo lavbloods (and will be working stripe in to that project as well), phantom stripes, etc. The snakes I'm using are homozygous for at least one of the desired genes so that I can at least make hets in the first generation that can be paired together to create the target morph. It is also fun to end up with a 'Christmas' clutch with many different morphs in it (had one this year that was aneries, ghosts, anery stripes, and ghost stripes; and one next year that will be lavenders, hypo lavs, lavbloods, and hypo lavbloods). Isn't genetics fun? (You have probably figured it out by now, I'm a nerd who loves genetics...)

So, I would suggest picking a morph that you really like and getting a pair that are at least carrying that gene (or are homozygous for it, if you'd prefer a visual 'morph' parent).

Old 11-10-2010, 06:35 PM   #3
SHAKSNAKE
thanks, i have a lot to learn about genetics

Old 11-17-2010, 07:57 PM   #4
Arpolis
If you ask me, I think an Okeetee Lava or Ultramel would be cool. Just something that may breed towards really rich reds with dark grey or black boarders.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:19 PM   #5
wstphal
Ultramel or ultra Okeetees would be good. Great idea! Only a couple of generations worth of work to start with, then just hold back the best Okeetee-ish ones, grow them up, breed them to each other, rinse & repeat!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google