CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Blizzard questions

Old 12-31-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
rocketshipwalker
Blizzard questions

I asked this in my progression thread, but I though I'd try here as well.

Does anyone know how to tell if a Blizzard will have lots of yellow and extremely visible patterns?
I've seen some Blizzard progression photos where you can clearly see the pattern on the hatchling, and those tend to look like they have more yellow as adults.
When I look at Strider, I have to look extremely closely and he has to be extremely still for me to see any sort of pattern.
Does this mean his pattern won't be very visible and he won't have very much, if any, yellow?
I've seen some pictures of adult Blizzards that are almost all white. Do you think he'll maybe end up like them?
I'm just curious.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:20 PM   #2
Susan
The amount of yellow and degree of visibility of the pattern is most likely going to be influenced by lineage more than simply by the main genetics (amel charcoal). If the parents had minimal yellow and a barely visible pattern, I would most likely see that in the offspring versus an offspring having more yellow and a highly visible pattern. There will be exceptions, of course, but as a generality, that is what I would expect.

If Strider is maintaining an almost invisible pattern and you're not seeing hardly any yellow yet, he most likely will remain that way into adulthood, being more like the "ideal" blizzard that is almost a solid white with a minimal pattern and virtually no yellow. And one thing, if you ever breed Strider, is to test him for diffuse, as that gene in homozygous form will most definitely reduce the pattern you see in a blizzard.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #3
rocketshipwalker
I can't really compare him to his parents because his parents were Reverse Okeetees het for Charcoal.
I haven't seen any yellow at all. He's only about five months old though, so he's kind of a pinkish white color.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google