CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

ultramel help

Old 12-31-2012, 10:45 AM   #11
Carpe Serpentis
But that is just it, with ultra we can't say for 100% what species is in the mix or even for sure if there was a mix. As bitsy makes clear, the origins of many of our snakes to include ultra are no where near cut and dry. You can say that about any snake in the hobby. For the record, I was trying to be nice and say I liked your snake. Don't read too much into my posts.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:30 AM   #12
bitsy
Quote:
But that is just it, with ultra we can't say for 100% what species is in the mix or even for sure if there was a mix.
Then you may need to be a bit more careful about posting things like:
Quote:
Interesting side note is that any snake with ultra in it also has grey rat snake in its mix
... which made it sound like not only did you think that Ultras were definitely hybrids, but that it was an established fact

Old 12-31-2012, 11:48 AM   #13
Carpe Serpentis
bitsy, you are quite right. I should have said as stated here and cited my source to leave it a bit more ambiguous as the matter really is where it concerns the parentage of many line bred or hybrid animals, plants, etc. if you go back far enough you run into a list of unknowns. The further back y you go the more unknowns, but also the more you know. Never mind other tricky matters that may come into play whether they be intentional or otherwise what is clear is that there is only so much one can know about the lineage of anything before it gets completely lost in history.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:04 PM   #14
jessicashallperish
hence why i refuse to breed my "'sunkissed looking banded thayeri thing" and i always keep records of everything i breed and buy..

Old 12-31-2012, 02:56 PM   #15
Susan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicashallperish View Post
hence why i refuse to breed my "'sunkissed looking banded thayeri thing" and i always keep records of everything i breed and buy..
Pity, as I would absolutely love to have an offspring of that one, especially if it were bred into an ultra line or a known hybrid line.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:25 PM   #16
WingedSweetheart
I think if someone is buying a snake just as a pet with no intention of breeding it, then the genetics don't really matter as much. You should of course tell them the genetics, but most pet owners probably won't even care enough to look up what those genetics even mean.

However if the person is buying the snake in order to breed then they should already know what Ultra/Ultramel is and all the mystery surrounding it. If they didn't do that sort of research then they aren't a breeder anyone serious would be buying from in the first place. I know I wouldn't buy future breeder stock from someone that has no clue as to the genetics they are breeding.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:51 PM   #17
BSLMichael
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicashallperish View Post
Well, If you don't find an anwser, I would just go with your gut on what it is until proven otherwise.

I think sunkissed-looking-banded-thayeri-thing is a great name for it. A bit long winded, but hey SLBTT (That could be funny if that b was a u) works too.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #18
WestCoast_Redneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedSweetheart View Post
I think if someone is buying a snake just as a pet with no intention of breeding it, then the genetics don't really matter as much. You should of course tell them the genetics, but most pet owners probably won't even care enough to look up what those genetics even mean.
I just purchased an ultra anery. I was told if this was for breeding, the snake would be worth quite a bit. It's not for breeding, I got this snake strictly as a pet and have no intention of ever breeding her, however I am VERY much interested in the genetics after reading your thread!

Old 01-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #19
crotalis40741
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoast_Redneck View Post
I just purchased an ultra anery. I was told if this was for breeding, the snake would be worth quite a bit. It's not for breeding, I got this snake strictly as a pet and have no intention of ever breeding her, however I am VERY much interested in the genetics after reading your thread!
The ultra aneries aren't that rare at least down here. I hope the breeder didn't tell you that.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google